all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-19 15:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

setup Solaris OS (openindiana-hipster)

Trying to figure out how to tell configure where to look for gif
libraries by using ./configure --help shows --libdir= so I tried using
that to point /opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib/amd64/

Where things like: libungif.so libgif.so.4.1.7 libgif.so and several
more like those but ./configure ends with:

My ./configure line:

 PATH=$PATH ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/git/test
   --with-x=yes --with-gif=yes --libdir=/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib/amd64
     --with-imagemagick=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena

(the PATH= stuff was there to cure a problem where ./configure was
finding the wrong (old) verion of makeinfo... the PATH variable seemed
to head it the right way /opt/csw/bin/)

So with that ./configure line, it ends with:

,----
| [...]
| configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
|      libgif/libungif
| Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
| If you don't want to link with them give
|      --with-gif=no
| as options to configure
`----

Having emacs built with gif or not is really small potatoes, my query
is more to for once and for all... learn how to tell ./configure some
kinds of things.

* Re: How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-20 21:33 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-20 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[...]

> Having emacs built with gif or not is really small potatoes, my query
> is more to for once and for all... learn how to tell ./configure some
> kinds of things.

Gack... sorry .. wrong newsgroup... was meant of [...]emacs.help

* How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-20 21:40 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-20 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

setup Solaris OS (openindiana-hipster)

Trying to figure out how to tell configure where to look for gif
libraries by using ./configure's --help. It shows `--libdir=' so I
tried using that to point to /opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib/amd64/

Where things like: libungif.so libgif.so.4.1.7 libgif.so and several
more like those, but not working out like I hoped.

`----

@ 2015-01-22 17:58 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Note: this message (with some editing here -hp) was mistakenly posted
on emacs.devel.

setup Solaris OS (openindiana-hipster)

Trying to figure out how to tell configure where to look for gif
libraries by using ./configure --help shows --libdir= so I tried using
that to point /opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib/amd64/

NOTEL I've since learned from a helpful poster that --lib-dir is about
where to put lib files NOT where to find them.

`----

Having emacs built with gif or not is really small potatoes, my query
is more to for once and for all... learn how to tell ./configure some
kinds of things.

NOTE: Someone has suggested it be involved with certain CFLAGS
settings or the like.

Anyone who knows something about doeing this on solaris or any one
with an opinion; Some input would be very welcome.

* Re: How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-23  2:01 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-01-23  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Read the INSTALL file, specifically the bits about LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS.
For more "modern" stuff, add PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

* Re: How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-23 11:25   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-23 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Read the INSTALL file, specifically the bits about LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS.
> For more "modern" stuff, add PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

[...]

Thanks, thats a heck of a start.. sorry it hadn't dawned on my dimwits
to look there.

I found the config.log that gets genearated is also an excellent place
to look for exactly what is not being found... making it much easier
to figure out where it needs pointing too.

A tip for anyone interested is to search config.log after running
configure (if not happy with that result) for the word `perhaps'

Everywhere you see that word will be info telling what lib is not
being found.  Once you know what lib... its short work to:

  find /suspected/path/base/ -name '*lib_named_at_perhaps*'

And thereby find the correct paths to add. to PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Thanks again

* Re: How to point an emacs build to gif libs
@ 2015-01-23 15:26     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2015-01-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Everywhere you see that word will be info telling what lib is not
> being found.  Once you know what lib... its short work to:
>
>   find /suspected/path/base/ -name '*lib_named_at_perhaps*'
>
> And thereby find the correct paths to add. to PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I may have jumped the gun before testing ... I still haven't managed
to get ./configure to accept --with-gif=yes.  In fact some of my
concoctions have broke the configure run entirely.  for example:

It really is not thoroughly explained (nor should it be) in the
install file, just how to do this.. there are examples which I tried
to follow:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/git/test --with-x=yes\
   --with-gif=yes --with-imagemagick=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena\
     --without-sound --disable-largefile
           CPPFLAGS='-I/opt/csw/include'\
             LDFLAGS="-L/opt/csw/lib -L/opt/csw/lib/amd64/" CFLAGS='-03'

(It's all one line on the cmd line)

Leads to a very short run of configure.. some 12-13 lines... Now it
cannot find the compiler... something it knew a  few moments
ago... somehow my illinformed flags have rendered ./configure dumber
than with no flags

  checking for xcrun... no
  checking for GNU Make... make
  checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/gnu/bin/install -c
  checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/gnu/bin/mkdir -p
  checking for gawk... gawk
  checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
  checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11
  checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking whether the C compiler works... no
  configure: error: in `/usr/local/src/vcs/git/emacs':
  See `config.log' for more details

I've tried a few other concoctions too, which ended better than the
above run, but have yet to get configure to find the gif libs.

Again, I'm not particularly wedded to gif support... just would
finally like to know how set things up when a default ./configure run
doesn't cut it.

I've dug up some help on google and tried a run after reading a few
bits about it... it didn't wash out totally but still did not find or
use gif libs.

I believe the needed items are here:

  find /opt/csw/ -name 'include'
  /opt/csw/include

[...] trimmed out doco under ../share/..

  /opt/csw/include/gif_lib.h
  /opt/csw/lib/libgif.so.4.1.7
  /opt/csw/lib/libgif.so
  /opt/csw/lib/libungif.so.4
  /opt/csw/lib/amd64/libgif.so.4

Can you suggest where I might find some more detailed info about how
those flags are actually set?