In article <83y3phmca8.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii writes: > > Each Arabic character constitutes a grapheme cluster. Then, for the > > sequence "0646 0645 06CC 200C 0634 0648 062F", to which neighboring should > > 200C belongs to? Does Unicode define it? > I don't think Unicode defines that, but I thought the shaping engine > gives us back glyphs that don't include ZWNJ itself. Evidently, > that's not true, which I find strange. If ZWNJ is WITHIN a grapheme cluster (i.e. not at the edges of the cluster), the m17n lib does not return ZWNJ glyph. > > Anyway, is it convenient or inconvenient to be able to edit ZWNJ directly? > It's convenient. But we already support deletion of composed > characters, so I didn't think it mattered. If Unicode does not have a rule of ZWNJ handing, to delete ZWNJ, how a user know which to type; C-d or BS? And while doing cut&paste repeatedly, are there any chance of having the second and third lines of the attached file? They have two and three consecutive ZWNJ. How does a user notice such a (perhaps incorrect) situation? --- K. Handa handa@gnu.org