Here is a patch which fixes this bug by making a copy of the result of the first evaluation of a form to compare with the results of subsequent evaluations. This patch is based on the two patches I sent yesterday to bug#25316. Because Testcover may encounter circular structures in the code it instruments, I wrote a modified version of copy-tree which can handle circular structures. It's possibly generally useful enough to belong in subr.el alongside copy-tree instead of being an internal Testcover function, but I will submit that idea as a separate wishlist item. There isn't currently a version of `equal' which works for circular structures, so Testcover's handling of them is not fully implemented, but it now avoids stopping the code under coverage with an error message.