In article <87po9irqej.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman writes: > I haven't yet tried a font specialized for Lao, but I did try Symbola, > and with that the Lao HELLO example appears as it does in Emacs without > m17n-lib and libotf (with one exeption, see below) -- though the font > used to display the Lao is not Symbola but DejaVu Sans. Then I realized > what the difference is: Symbola is a variable pitch font, while my > default font is DejaVu Sans Mono (also the default with -Q). And > indeed, using DejaVu Sans (not Mono) as the default font displays the > Lao as in Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf (but in the latter Emacs > it's the same display also with DejaVu Sans Mono) -- with the exception > of the character LAO LETTER HO SUNG, which is composed with LAO TONE MAI > THO, but in the display, the latter appears over the following > character, while in the Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf it appears > over the character it is composed with (which I assume is correct). The > other three character compositions in the Lao example appear the same in > Emacs both without and with m17n-lib and libotf -- but again, in the > latter only with variable pitch DejaVu Sans. So this does seem to be a > problem in the m17n-lib and/or libotf code. In my environment, Lao can be rendered correctly by Dejavu Sans Mono (see the attached image). Please run Emacs as this, and show me the printed log: % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=1 emacs --- K. Handa handa@gnu.org