all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus registry pruning
@ 2018-11-19 10:45 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-11-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've tried sending this to gmane.emacs.gnus.general, but the Gmane
Autoauthorizer will not accept my reply.

How can I set my registry to prune automatically? I currently do this by
hand, using `M-x gnus-registry-remake-db' when .gnus.registry.eieio get
too large. I set the default size explicitly in my ~/.gnus.el with

(setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone know how to get the Gmane Autoauthorizer to accept replies?

* Re: gnus registry pruning
       [not found] <mailman.4244.1542624327.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-11-19 12:16 ` Nuno Silva
From: Nuno Silva @ 2018-11-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-11-19, Colin Baxter wrote:

> I've tried sending this to gmane.emacs.gnus.general, but the Gmane
> Autoauthorizer will not accept my reply.
[...]
> P.S. Does anyone know how to get the Gmane Autoauthorizer to accept replies?

It has been broken for several months now. I have no idea if it will get
fixed soon.

For those who are not authenticated with Gmane for this group/list,
alternatives are to use the mailing list directly or use the
gnu.emacs.help USENET newsgroup.

--
Nuno Silva

* Re: gnus registry pruning
@ 2018-11-19 14:32   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-11-19 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > On 2018-11-19, Colin Baxter wrote:
    >> I've tried sending this to gmane.emacs.gnus.general, but the
    >> Gmane Autoauthorizer will not accept my reply.
    > [...]
    >> P.S. Does anyone know how to get the Gmane Autoauthorizer to
    >> accept replies?

    > It has been broken for several months now. I have no idea if it
    > will get fixed soon.

    > For those who are not authenticated with Gmane for this
    > group/list, alternatives are to use the mailing list directly or
    > use the gnu.emacs.help USENET newsgroup.

    > -- Nuno Silva

Thanks Nuno for this information.

Best wishes,

* Re: gnus registry pruning
@ 2018-11-19 15:44 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-11-19 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> How can I set my registry to prune automatically?

It prunes automatically without any setting, but only when it has gotten
too large (more that gnus-registry-max-entries entries).

> I currently do this by hand, using `M-x gnus-registry-remake-db' when
> .gnus.registry.eieio get too large.

Doesn't this delete your registry?

> I set the default size explicitly in my ~/.gnus.el with
>
> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

That should be sufficient.  You also need (gnus-registry-initialize) of
course.

I have not much more and get pruning very frequently.

Michael.

* Re: gnus registry pruning
@ 2018-11-19 17:08   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-11-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Michael,
Thanks for your reply.

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> How can I set my registry to prune automatically?

    > It prunes automatically without any setting, but only when it has
    > gotten too large (more that gnus-registry-max-entries entries).

    >> I currently do this by hand, using `M-x gnus-registry-remake-db'
    >> when .gnus.registry.eieio get too large.

    > Doesn't this delete your registry?

Yes, but re-builds it.

    >> I set the default size explicitly in my ~/.gnus.el with
    >>
    >> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

    > That should be sufficient.  You also need
    > (gnus-registry-initialize) of course.

Yes, I have that set too.

    > I have not much more and get pruning very frequently.

Ok, perhaps my problem is simply not waiting sufficiently long for
automatic pruning to kick in. I may perhaps be "panicking" as I see the
file .gnus.registry.eieio grow in size. Next time, I'll not remake the
registry database but wait and see what happens.

Best wishes,