all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
@ 2020-10-13 15:28 Alex McGrath
From: Alex McGrath @ 2020-10-13 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs-Help,

While using tramp with icomplete and flex, I get the following behaviour when I try to
browse files/folders with C-x C-f

For example If i type in on my keyboard 'hello' the minibuffer will display 'hell' but
once I go back to editing local files it will work as expected. It also seems to start working
again once.

Once there are few enough completion candidates it seems to go back to working as expected,
as a result I think directories containing a lot of files are the most affected.

I can reproduce it with the following cut down version of my config:
--------
(package-initialize)
(require 'use-package)
(setq use-package-always-defer t)
(use-package minibuffer
  :hook (after-init . minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode) ; recursion depth
  :config
  (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t)
  (setq completion-styles '(partial-completion flex))
)

(use-package icomplete
  :hook (after-init . icomplete-mode)
  :config
  :bind (:map icomplete-minibuffer-map
              ("TAB" . icomplete-force-complete)
              ("C-n" . icomplete-forward-completions)
              ("C-p" . icomplete-backward-completions)
              ("<return>" . icomplete-force-complete-and-exit!)
              ("RET" . icomplete-force-complete-and-exit!)))

(icomplete-mode)
-------

Thanks!
Alex

* Re: Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
@ 2020-10-13 18:36 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-10-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex McGrath; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Alex McGrath" <amk@amk.ie> writes:

> Hi Emacs-Help,

Hi Alex,

> While using tramp with icomplete and flex, I get the following
> behaviour when I try to browse files/folders with C-x C-f
>
> For example If i type in on my keyboard 'hello' the minibuffer will
> display 'hell' but once I go back to editing local files it will work
> as expected. It also seems to start working again once.

I don't understand how typing 'hello' is related to remote file
names. Could you pls show a comprehensive recipe for reproduction?

And which Emacs/Tramp versions are you using?

> Thanks!
> Alex

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
@ 2020-10-13 21:29   ` Alex McGrath
From: Alex McGrath @ 2020-10-13 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> "Alex McGrath" <amk@amk.ie> writes:
>

>> as expected. It also seems to start working again once.
>
> I don't understand how typing 'hello' is related to remote file
> names. Could you pls show a comprehensive recipe for reproduction?
For example if the directory contains the files
```
Hello
Hello2
Howdy
```
when `find-file` is executed and Hello is typed only Hell will have appeared
in the minibuffer until I enter another character or move the cursor.

I think its probably easier to reproduce on a directory with a lot of files, it
seems to start working like normal again once its narrowed it down to a few
items.

> And which Emacs/Tramp versions are you using?

I'm using emacs version 27.1 and have also been able to reproduce it on
the master branch, I'm not sure what version of tramp, but I dont think I
updated it manually, so whatever is shipped with 27/current master

* Re: Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
@ 2020-10-14  9:14     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-10-14  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex McGrath; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Alex McGrath" <amk@amk.ie> writes:

Hi Alex,

> For example if the directory contains the files
> ```
> Hello
> Hello2
> Howdy
> ```
> when `find-file` is executed and Hello is typed only Hell will have appeared
> in the minibuffer until I enter another character or move the cursor.
>
> I think its probably easier to reproduce on a directory with a lot of files, it
> seems to start working like normal again once its narrowed it down to a few
> items.
>
>> And which Emacs/Tramp versions are you using?
>
> I'm using emacs version 27.1 and have also been able to reproduce it on
> the master branch, I'm not sure what version of tramp, but I dont think I
> updated it manually, so whatever is shipped with 27/current master

Well, I have started "/usr/bin/emacs -Q". This is Emacs 27 as shipped by
Fedora 32. Then I have evall'ed the code you gave in your initial
message.

My /usr/bin directory contains ~2400 files, so I've taken it as test
directory. Typing "C-c C-f /ssh::/usr/bin/ts" doesn't show any
completion, because Tramp is not loaded yet. So I type "TAB", and I see
the first offered completion "/ssh::/usr/bin/tset". Typing two
backspaces shows me all completions of "ts". Typing another backspace,
followed by "r", shows me the completions for "tr". It works as
expected, and also typing other characters doesn't show any anomaly.

What shall I do else, in order to see the described effect?

Best regards, Michael.