all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: 58360@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#58360: 28.2; tramp-archive and file-directory-p
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 17:07:06 -0300	[thread overview]

On Sat, 08 Oct 2022 at 13:38, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Gustavo,

Hi Michael,

> This is intended.

That's then cleared.  Thank you for your answer.

I have done so: https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/issues/2998

> There might be people who wish to navigate into "odt", "exe", or "deb"
> files. It shall be possible. It happens only if you access
> "/path/to/file.odt/" (the trailing slash is important), for which
> there
> is no other desired behavior I could imagine.

Well, I'd say there's a difference between "being possible" and "being
the default".  But I don't intend to fuss about it, as I do understand
your point of view, particularly given the answer above.  It is a
consistent position.  As I've said initially, I was surprised, but
reported just to check if things were really as intended.

> I doubt that people would change such a user option. What would be the
> use case? There is still tramp-archive-enabled, and if a package
> really
> really really wants to access "file.odt/" for another purpose than the
> intended, the package shall let-bind this variable.

I was just thinking people might want different behaviors depending on
the file type.  But I'm sure your knowledge of use cases for the feature
is much better than my "just got acquainted with the package" one.  So
if you think this is of little use, I trust your call.  ;-)

> Best regards, Michael.

Best regards,
Gustavo.