Dmitry Gutov writes: > On 08/12/2022 18:04, Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, > the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote: >> >> >>> syntax-ppss is used in a lot of places. A "free" improvement like the above wouldn't hurt. >>> >>>>> So my preference would be to check in the , the var will be there as well. >>>> I don't insist, but it sounds like the logical thing to do. So unless >>>> you feel strongly against that, I'd say let's add that part. This is, >>>> after all, an experiment, so let's experiment. >>> I'm not going to object. >>> >>> Doubly so if somebody else wants to finish up the patch and commit it with NEWS and documentation updates. 😉 >> I can finish up the patch if you don't want to 😄 > > If you don't mind. Thank you. :-) Ok, will do. In preparation for that function, we need that variable on the emacs-29 branch, right? So here's a patch for that. What do you think, Dmitry, Eli and Yuan? If this gets installed on emacs-29, I can make the function we discussed on the master branch when that is merged. Theo