all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CC Mode is moving!
@ 2023-07-31 13:41 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2023-07-31 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs.

This might be a little off-topic, but I'm moving CC Mode from
SourceForge to Savannah.  The reason is that I don't like SourceForge's
(actually, now SlashDot's) new "privacy statement".  I don't like it for
me, and I wouldn't want to insist on anybody else assenting to it.

The new Savannah "group" (basically, project) cc-mode was approved this
morning (European time), after Ineiev, a Savannah administrator,
approved the copyright/licence statements on all the files in a release.

I anticipate being able to get an export of the
cc-mode-help@sourceforge.net (aka bug-cc-mode@gnu.org) from SourceForge
and hosting that list on Savannah as bug-cc-mode@gnu.org.  The SF admins
have offered me such an export.

CC Mode will continue to use Mercurial (rather than git), but its
web-pages will be under CVS, like those of all other Savannah projects.
I'm currently having fun writing sed scripts (along with grep, sort -u,
gawk, etc.) to extract the dates of file changes for each file from the
repository, and format them into appropriate copyright/licence
statements.

The question may be asked, why still have a separate CC Mode project at
all?  Well, I still want to support older versions of Emacs, and also
XEmacs.  XEmacs actually had a release in May this year.  Also,
abolishing stand-alone CC Mode at the same time as moving the project
would have been too big an upheaval for one operation.

Anyway, the move has been firmly decided upon.  There just remains the
drudge work of getting the repositories and mailing list onto Savannh,
and announcing the change publicly.  I'm hoping to have this done within
the next week.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: CC Mode is moving!