Joseph Turner writes: > Philip Kaludercic writes: > >> Joseph Turner writes: >> >>> However, the behavior of >>> read-file-name is unspecified when a MUSTMATCH function returns nil: >>> >>> - a function, which will be called with the input as the >>> argument. If the function returns a non-nil value, the >>> minibuffer is exited with that argument as the value. >>> >>> Is this a bug, a case of under-documentation, or do I misunderstand something? >>> >>> I'm happy to post this in a separate bug thread if you think it's worth it. >> >> Perhaps that would be worth doing, that way the people who know more >> about completion than I do would be more likely to see it and help >> out. > > Okay, thanks! I'll do that. Now that #66187 () and bug#68815 () are fixed on emacs-29, I'm revisiting this issue. With the following patch, the interactive prompt in package-vc-checkout now offers all directory for completion (empty or not), but only exits when the minibuffer contains an empty directory or nonexistent filename. Testing this patch requires checking out emacs-29 after e6c82fe35e3. Thanks! Joseph