all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com>
To: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Add package gptel
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:11:23 -0700	[thread overview]

>> These are the only local options with HTTP APIs available right now.
>> There are several more local web applications with bespoke interfaces
>> but no API.
>>
>> When there are more I'll add support for them to gptel.
>
> So just to clarify, you do not intend to use the llm package as a
> dependency going forward?

It's on the cards, since I'd like to stop maintaining the network
request handling.  But it's a big undertaking, especially since llm
doesn't have Curl support yet.  (I'm aware of the plz-event-source and
plz-media-type filter function extensions being added in a concurrent
discussion.)

Adding support for new LLM APIs is very easy in gptel, it's usually
under 50 lines of code and one autoload.  Most of my project time is
spent on UI bugs or features.

> Can you just add a .elpaignore file to your repository that would
> exclude the test/ directory?  And would you be OK with us using the
> Commentary section in gptel.el for the package description generated by
> M-x describe-package?  I feel it would be more readable than if we
> convert the README.org file to plain text.

Yes, the commentary section is intended to function as the package
description for package.el.  I plan to modify the README to be exported
to a texinfo manual instead, once I figure out how to use ox-texinfo.

I've added a .elpaignore file with the contents "test".

Karthik