all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>
Subject: Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 04:34:21 +0800	[thread overview]

D> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>> Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail
>> addresses when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's
>> web page, which of course will mention his mail address.
>>
>> Finding the email address in the web page is not reliable, and not
>> automatic.  So we will continue using email addresses in change
>> logs.

[Neat, SuperCite put my words in Richard's mouth without even a trace of
difference in this instance.]

D> I don't even have a web page.

My next of kin has a web page but no email address. Now what?

Hmm, I bet if we check the logs, 20 years ago you guys were defending
putting telephone numbers while we were pushing email addresses.

Anyway, I'm all about choice. So, I was just humbly mentioning that
the subject of "what to do if I want my web page's address there
instead of (or even in addition to) my email address" should be
mentioned in the docs.

And, lets say I went on a sudden vacation.  With just my email address, you
would mail into a black hole.  With my web page address, you could
wistfully enjoy my pages until I got back.

Or, let's say I want to ask a VIP a FAQ. Would I want to display my
inadeptness so early in the game by emailing him?  No, I would go to
the FAQ page right there on his web page.

Anyways, the docs should mention what to do, in case it is a better
solution for some users.  I mean the docs shouldn't just assume that
all users want email addresses instead of webpages.

How about users like "IBM".  Would IBM like folks to know a email
address instead of a webpage?

How about users unable to come to grips with spam, and are paranoid
about leaving email addresses around, or switch regularly, but on the
other hand have a healthy web page... the docs should mention what to
do in their case.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780