all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* no Info command to make a tree map of the nodes below
@ 2003-05-10  6:47 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-05-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Feature request: I bet there is no Info command that can make a tree
diagram out of the nodes below us, from which we could place the
cursor on, hit RET, and boom we go to that node.  Sort of like a "site
map".

I mean for the shell there is a "tree -H" that makes a html "ls -R
like" tree that one can click on in a browser.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: no Info command to make a tree map of the nodes below
@ 2003-05-10 10:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-10 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>
> Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 14:47:24 +0800
>
> Feature request: I bet there is no Info command that can make a tree
> diagram out of the nodes below us, from which we could place the
> cursor on, hit RET, and boom we go to that node.  Sort of like a "site
> map".

Info files do not have to have a tree structure, they can present an
arbitrary graph structure.  In practice, only a few of them do, but,
significantly, info.info is one of those few.

The structure present in an Info file is described by its menus.

* Re: no Info command to make a tree map of the nodes below
@ 2003-05-11  3:07   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-05-11  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli> The structure present in an Info file is described by its menus.

I was thinking then of recursive menus... so one can see all the
layers of menus "below where we are now" all on one page, indented as to depth.
--

@ 2003-05-11 14:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>
> Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:07:14 +0800
>
> Eli> The structure present in an Info file is described by its menus.
>
> I was thinking then of recursive menus... so one can see all the
> layers of menus "below where we are now" all on one page, indented as to depth.

Of course, since the node structure doesn't have to be a tree, the
process of generating such a display could lead to an infloop...