all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unhandy Metakey
@ 2005-03-30 10:14 JS
From: JS @ 2005-03-30 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think its pretty unhandy that the Meta key is "escape" is it not possible
to configure it more appropiate?

Where have you configured to the Meta Key to be?

JS

* Re: Unhandy Metakey
@ 2005-03-30 10:25 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.03.2005 um 12:14 schrieb JS:

> Where have you configured to the Meta Key to be?

An X server offers as a modifier (like Shift or Control) the Meta key.
As with the two others you simply keep that one pressed and press on x
or any other key. xmodmap -pm would reveal the modifiers. If you're on
Windows maybe Emacs info has some MS Windows specific notes on the
Windows key or such.

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
		-- 	Garfield

* Re: Unhandy Metakey
@ 2005-03-31  6:31 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-03-31  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

JS wrote:

| I think its pretty unhandy that the Meta key is "escape" is it not
| possible to configure it more appropiate?
|
| Where have you configured to the Meta Key to be?

The Meta key is usually mapped to <Alt> on a Linux or BSD system on a
normal PC keyboard.

--
SB

* Re: Unhandy Metakey
@ 2005-03-31 18:40 ` Jim Ottaway
From: Jim Ottaway @ 2005-03-31 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think its pretty unhandy that the Meta key is "escape" is it not possible
> to configure it more appropiate?

> Where have you configured to the Meta Key to be?

I find C-[ [that's control open-square-bracket] very handy as a
touch-typing friendly alternative to ESC: I think it is the same as
ESC in most terminals: requires no configuration.

--
Jim Ottaway