all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Key sequence M-} is not working
@ 2007-07-28 21:11 Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-07-28 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

When typing M-} (forward-paragraph) nothing happens, amazingly M-{
does work!  The key sequence is definitively not bound by my window
manager (openbox).  Unfortunately I've no clue how to proceed from
this sorry state.  For any pointer I'm greatly indebted 8-).

Have a nice weekend.

Emacs is compiled from official sources:
GNU Emacs 22.1.5 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of
2007-07-01 on debby

I'm writing from a rather bare Debian system
(shell-command "uname -a" 1) Linux debby 2.6.18-4-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May
4 00:37:33 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Key sequence M-} is not working
       [not found] <mailman.4089.1185657015.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-29  8:45 ` Arjen Wiersma
From: Arjen Wiersma @ 2007-07-29  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> When typing M-} (forward-paragraph) nothing happens, amazingly M-{
> does work!  The key sequence is definitively not bound by my window
> manager (openbox).  Unfortunately I've no clue how to proceed from
> this sorry state.  For any pointer I'm greatly indebted 8-).

Well, if M-} is indeed bound when looking at C-h b, the question becomes, does
M-x forward-paragraph work and if it does, does it work on a different
keybinding?

if that is still the case, then M-} must be caught somewhere else as well...
no?

Arjen

* Re: Key sequence M-} is not working
@ 2007-07-29 17:42   ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-07-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Wiersma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Arjen Wiersma <core@credmp.org> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
>> When typing M-} (forward-paragraph) nothing happens, amazingly M-{
>> does work!  The key sequence is definitively not bound by my window
>> manager (openbox).  Unfortunately I've no clue how to proceed from
>> this sorry state.  For any pointer I'm greatly indebted 8-).
>
> Well, if M-} is indeed bound when looking at C-h b, the question becomes, does
> M-x forward-paragraph work and if it does, does it work on a different
> keybinding?

(forward-paragraph) <- C-x C-e
does work as expected

(global-set-key "\C-cx" 'forward-paragraph)
does also work 8-)

> if that is still the case, then M-} must be caught somewhere else as well...
> no?

True, but how and what is intercepting M-}.  Could you please point to
some tools which show me what's going on here.  I remember vaguely
some X utilities which are supposed to show the key sequence which one
is typing.

     Dieter

--
    Best wishes