all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 11:22 Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-11 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
emacsclient to pop up a new window.
XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
haven't found anything similar in Emacs.

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 12:20 ` Eric Böse-Wolf
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Böse-Wolf @ 2007-09-11 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"emacs -nw does the job"

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 12:54 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:

Hi Sebastian,

> Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?  I
> want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
> emacsclient to pop up a new window.

If you use the current development version of emacs which includes
multi-tty, then you can use these two scripts.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Usage: emacs-preload <name> [<waitp>]
#
# Preloads the Emacs instance called NAME in a detached screen session.  Does
# nothing if the instance is already running.  If WAITP is non-empty, the
# function waits until the server starts up and creates its socket; otherwise
# it returns immediately.

name="$1"
waitp="$2"
screendir="/var/run/screen/S-$USER"
serverdir="/tmp/emacs$UID"
emacs=/usr/bin/emacs

if [ -z "$name" ]; then
    echo "Usage: preload_emacs <name> [<waitp>]" >&2
    exit 1
fi

if [ ! -e "$screendir"/*."$name" ]; then
    if [ -e "$serverdir/$name" ]; then
        # Delete leftover socket (for the wait option)
        rm "$serverdir/$name"
    fi
    screen -d -m -S "$name" "$emacs" -nw --eval "(setq server-name \"$name\")" --funcall server-start
fi

if [ ! -z "$waitp" ]; then
    while [ ! -e "$serverdir/$name" ]; do
        sleep 1;
    done
fi

#!/bin/bash
# Usage: connect-emacs <name> <args>...
#
# Connects to the Emacs instance called NAME.  Starts up the instance if it is
# not already running.  The rest of the arguments are passed to emacsclient.

name="$1"
shift

if [ -z "$name" ]; then
    echo "Usage: connect_emacs <name> <args>..." >&2
    exit 1
fi

# Startup that emacs if it's not running!
emacs-preload "$name" wait

/usr/bin/emacsclient -s "$name" "$@"

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 13:17 ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2007-09-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
>I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
>emacsclient to pop up a new window.
>XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
>haven't found anything similar in Emacs.

Use "-iconic", and don't have a specified icon.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)              floyd@apaflo.com

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 13:41   ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-11 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Eric Böse-Wolf writes:

> "emacs -nw does the job"

No, not quite. It starts emacs inside the terminal window it has been
called from and all emacsclient buffers open within this instance.

--

@ 2007-09-11 13:45   ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-11 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Tassilo Horn writes:

> If you use the current development version of emacs which includes
> multi-tty, then you can use these two scripts.

I'm using v22.1 and your scripts don't seem to work with that version.

--

@ 2007-09-11 13:56   ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Floyd L Davidson writes:

> Use "-iconic", and don't have a specified icon.

I'm using Gnome, so I can't hide the window that way. Also, for some
reason, -iconic or --iconic has no effect here.

--

@ 2007-09-11 14:01     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-11 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:

> // Tassilo Horn writes:
>
>> If you use the current development version of emacs which includes
>> multi-tty, then you can use these two scripts.
>
> I'm using v22.1 and your scripts don't seem to work with that version.

Indeed, they're for Emacsen >= 23.0.50 only.  But now enjoy pleasant
anticipation for the 23.1 release. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Count from  one to ten.  That's how long  it would take Chuck  Norris to
kill you...Fourty seven times.

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-11 14:25     ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2007-09-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> wrote:
>// Floyd L Davidson writes:
>
>> Use "-iconic", and don't have a specified icon.
>
>I'm using Gnome, so I can't hide the window that way. Also, for some
>reason, -iconic or --iconic has no effect here.

Well...  go back one step, to where you mention XEmacs
and -unmapped, and use that!

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)              floyd@apaflo.com

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-09-12 11:40 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-12 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:

> Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
> I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
> emacsclient to pop up a new window.
> XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
> haven't found anything similar in Emacs.

It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.

Any opinion?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |       One user is enough.              |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    People suck.                        |

@ 2007-09-12 15:47   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

  > Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:
  >
  > > Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
  > > I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
  > > emacsclient to pop up a new window.
  > > XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
  > > haven't found anything similar in Emacs.
  >
  > It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
  > screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
  > may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.
  >
  > Any opinion?

It would be great to be able to do this. Karoly said on this list that
the way to implement this is to implement a special kind of display
that does not output anything.

We just need someone that is interested to work on this...

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-12 16:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-12 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, emacs-devel

>> > Is there a possibility to start Emacs without opening a window?
>> > I want to start the Emacs server from my .emacs and then use only
>> > emacsclient to pop up a new window.
>> > XEmacs knows an option "-unmapped" which does exactly what I want, but I
>> > haven't found anything similar in Emacs.
>>
>> It seems that there's no other way than to launch emacs -nw in a
>> screen(1) and forget about it.  Since Emacs has become a true server, it
>> may be a good idea to had a `-daemon' option or something like that.
>>
>> Any opinion?

> It would be great to be able to do this. Karoly said on this list that
> the way to implement this is to implement a special kind of display
> that does not output anything.

> We just need someone that is interested to work on this...

Basically, it'd be like -batch except without the `noninteractive' and
such stuff.

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-18 13:40       ` Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2007-09-18 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

> Well...  go back one step, to where you mention XEmacs
> and -unmapped, and use that!

What do you mean? Does emacs now support a -unmapped parameter on startup?

* Re: Start emacs without opening a window (X11)
@ 2007-09-18 14:36         ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2007-09-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <pfemat@web.de> wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
>> Well...  go back one step, to where you mention XEmacs
>> and -unmapped, and use that!
>
>What do you mean? Does emacs now support a -unmapped parameter on startup?

I mean the obvious, use something that does support -unmapped!

XEmacs.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)              floyd@apaflo.com