all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.0.60; Comint:no process
@ 2007-11-15 17:49 Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-11-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

"M-x shell" brings up shell buffer with no shell process and message
"comint-exec-1: No process started"

Modeline reads "Comint:no process"

My default shell is /bin/zsh

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.13)
 of 2007-11-15 on W0053328
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10300000
configured using `configure  '--with-gtk' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-xft' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-shared' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var' '--enable-perl=/usr/bin/perl' '--build=i686-slackware-linux' '--host=i686-slackware-linux' 'build_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'host_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'CFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  iswitchb-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC n SPC C-n SPC n n n SPC n SPC C-x 1 C-n C-n C-p
SPC SPC SPC C-n C-n SPC C-v C-n C-n SPC SPC I s e p
<return> h C-v SPC SPC SPC M-x m y SPC p r i n SPC
b SPC <return> L u x i S e r i f 1 0 <return> h C-x
1 C-n C-n SPC C-n SPC C-x 1 ` c y <return> SPC C-x
d C-a C-k / f t p : f t p @ o s u o s l . s l a c k
w a r e . M-b M-t C-e o r g : / p u b / s l a c k w
<return> C-s p a c k a C-n <return> s M-< C-n C-n C-n
C-n m C-n C-n C-p m C-n C-n m C-n C-n m C-p C-p C-p
C-p u C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n m C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p u n m C C-a C-k ~ / t m p / <return> M-x s
h e l l <return> M-x s h e l l <return> <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> M-x a n s i SPC t e r m <return> <return>
c d SPC <M-backspace> i n s t a <M-backspace> u p g
r a d e p k g SPC M-D C-h M-D <M-backspace> s u <return>
d a r 2 i n 5 9 <return> u p g r a d e p k g SPC p
h p <tab> <return> M-x <switch-frame> M-x r e p o r
t SPC e m e SPC <backspace> a SPC b SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Copy: 1 of 4
Copying poppler-0.6.2-i486-1_slack12.0.tgz to /home/joel/tmp/...done
Copy: 2 of 4
Copying xpdf-3.02pl2-i486-1_slack12.0.tgz to /home/joel/tmp/...done
Copy: 3 of 4
Copying php-5.2.5-i486-1_slack12.0.tgz to /home/joel/tmp/...done
Copy: 4 of 4
Copy: 4 files
Auto-saving...
comint-exec-1: No process started [2 times]

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.

* Re: 23.0.60; Comint:no process
@ 2007-11-18 13:01 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel J. Adamson; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

    "M-x shell" brings up shell buffer with no shell process and message
    "comint-exec-1: No process started"

    Modeline reads "Comint:no process"

This doesn't fail for me, after I set explicit-shell-file-name
to "/bin/zsh".  It starts up ok.

To help us reproduce the problem, could you please post a *precise*
test case for this bug?

The test case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file
does not affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the
buffer, what commands to execute, and how and where to click.

* Re: 23.0.60; Comint:no process
@ 2007-11-19 14:53   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-11-19 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     "M-x shell" brings up shell buffer with no shell process and message
>     "comint-exec-1: No process started"
>
>     Modeline reads "Comint:no process"
>
> This doesn't fail for me, after I set explicit-shell-file-name
> to "/bin/zsh".  It starts up ok.

Yeah, sorry about that: I was a little to "send-bug-report happy."  I
felt rather embarassed when I tried it again later in the day and it
worked just fine.

> To help us reproduce the problem, could you please post a *precise*
> test case for this bug?

Right-o, I'll follow the instructions next time.

Thanks,
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA  02114
(617) 643-1432
(303) 880-3109

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Comint "bug" solved (was: 23.0.60; Comint:no process)
@ 2007-11-19 16:21   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-11-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     "M-x shell" brings up shell buffer with no shell process and message
>     "comint-exec-1: No process started"
>
>     Modeline reads "Comint:no process"
>
> This doesn't fail for me, after I set explicit-shell-file-name
> to "/bin/zsh".  It starts up ok.

The problem was my current working directory, which was located on an
ftp server ;)

Joel