all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 10:45 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-02-07 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

Hello all,

I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like
to toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are
displayed.

Thanks for your hints.
--
Francis

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 10:52 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-07 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like
> to toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are
> displayed.

`C-x b' (which is bound to `switch-to-buffer')

Maybe you will like iswitchb:

(require 'iswitchb)

where `C-x b' is bound to `iswitchb-buffer', and offers a more
convenient prompt.

--
Bastien

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 10:53 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-07 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like to
> toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are displayed.

I use this:

(defun th-other-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-?") 'th-other-buffer)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 15:46   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-02-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 7, 2008 11:53 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> > I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like to
> > toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are displayed.
>
> I use this:
>
> (defun th-other-buffer ()
>   (interactive)
>   (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-?") 'th-other-buffer)

This is not what I want to do. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my previous email.

OK, let's say I have the following setup in my emacs:

+-------+--------+
|           |           |
|   1      |   2      |
|           |           |
+-------+--------+
|           |           |
|   3      |   4      |
|           |           |
+-------+--------+

Currently buffer "2" is selected.

I now select buffer "3". I did some typing in that buffer now I want
to get back quickly to buffer "2". I don't want to do "\C-x\C-o" but
I'd like for example just to do "\C-TAB".

So I can go back and forth between these 2 buffers just by typing "\C-TAB"

Thanks
--

@ 2008-02-07 15:58     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-02-07 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 11:53 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Francis,
>>
>>> I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like to
>>> toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are displayed.
>> I use this:
>>
>> (defun th-other-buffer ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))
>>
>> (global-set-key (kbd "C-?") 'th-other-buffer)
>>

> This is not what I want to do. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my previous email.
>
> OK, let's say I have the following setup in my emacs:
>
> +-------+--------+
> |           |           |
> |   1      |   2      |
> |           |           |
> +-------+--------+
> |           |           |
> |   3      |   4      |
> |           |           |
> +-------+--------+
>
> Currently buffer "2" is selected.
>
> I now select buffer "3". I did some typing in that buffer now I want
> to get back quickly to buffer "2". I don't want to do "\C-x\C-o" but
> I'd like for example just to do "\C-TAB".
>
> So I can go back and forth between these 2 buffers just by typing "\C-TAB"
>
> Thanks

windmove

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 16:18     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 7, 2008 11:53 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Francis,
>>
>> > I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like to
>> > toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are displayed.
>>
>> I use this:
>>
>> (defun th-other-buffer ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))
>>
>> (global-set-key (kbd "C-?") 'th-other-buffer)
>>

> This is not what I want to do. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my previous email.
>
> OK, let's say I have the following setup in my emacs:
>
> +-------+--------+
> |           |           |
> |   1      |   2      |
> |           |           |
> +-------+--------+
> |           |           |
> |   3      |   4      |
> |           |           |
> +-------+--------+
>
> Currently buffer "2" is selected.
>
> I now select buffer "3". I did some typing in that buffer now I want
> to get back quickly to buffer "2". I don't want to do "\C-x\C-o" but
> I'd like for example just to do "\C-TAB".
>
> So I can go back and forth between these 2 buffers just by typing "\C-TAB"
>
> Thanks

;; C-x o inversé de n windows(optional)
(defun other-window-backward (&optional n)
  "retourne sur n window(s) precedent(s)"
  (interactive "p")
  (other-window (- (or n 1))))
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-tab>") 'other-window-backward)

To go back 1 window C-tab
2 windows C-u 2 C-tab ...etc...
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-07 18:57     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7148.1202469108.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-07 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> OK, let's say I have the following setup in my emacs:
>
> +-------+--------+
> |       |        |
> |   1   |   2    |
> |       |        |
> +-------+--------+
> |       |        |
> |   3   |   4    |
> |       |        |
> +-------+--------+
>
> Currently buffer "2" is selected.
>
> I now select buffer "3". I did some typing in that buffer now I want
> to get back quickly to buffer "2". I don't want to do "\C-x\C-o" but
> I'd like for example just to do "\C-TAB".

Ah, ok, you mean windows, not buffers.  For that task I like
window-number.el.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/window-number.el

It displays the each window's number in its mode-line and you can jump
to window X using M-X (for X in 1..0).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-08 11:11       ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7148.1202469108.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-02-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 7, 2008 7:57 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> > OK, let's say I have the following setup in my emacs:
> >
> > +-------+--------+
> > |       |        |
> > |   1   |   2    |
> > |       |        |
> > +-------+--------+
> > |       |        |
> > |   3   |   4    |
> > |       |        |
> > +-------+--------+
> >
> > Currently buffer "2" is selected.
> >
> > I now select buffer "3". I did some typing in that buffer now I want
> > to get back quickly to buffer "2". I don't want to do "\C-x\C-o" but
> > I'd like for example just to do "\C-TAB".
>
> Ah, ok, you mean windows, not buffers.  For that task I like
> window-number.el.

yes windows, not buffers, sorry

>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/window-number.el
>
> It displays the each window's number in its mode-line and you can jump
> to window X using M-X (for X in 1..0).

Hmm it doesn't do exactly what I described: you need to specify a window
number.

It's weird that we can't do this almost trivial windows back and forth
selection.

--

@ 2008-02-08 14:27         ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-02-08 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 7, 2008 7:57 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
> Hmm it doesn't do exactly what I described: you need to specify a window
> number.

Most often I just enter "M-%%<(- number-of-windows 1> C-x o", however
this is pretty much the same as window-number (which I'm very happy to
find out about).

Another thing I do pretty often is just re-split the windows.  For
example

--------------------
|         |        |
|         |        |
|         |        |
|    1    |   2    |
|         |        |
|         |        |
|         |        |
--------------------

C-x 1 in window 2
--------------------
|                  |
|                  |
|                  |
|    2             |
|                  |
|                  |
|                  |
--------------------

C-x 3 C-x o C-x b #<buffer 1>

--------------------
|         |        |
|         |        |
|         |        |
|    2    |   1    |
|         |        |
|         |        |
|         |        |
--------------------

Window configurations are not sacred and manipulating them is easy.  I
could make this into "exchange-windows" but it's easy enough as it is
(the above takes about 1 second on a slow day).

> It's weird that we can't do this almost trivial windows back and forth
> selection.

Usually I've found that these trivial things are difficult or have not
been implemented because it's better to do something else.  However,
Emacs is all about freedom, so do it!

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
@ 2008-02-08 19:08           ` Martin Marcher
From: Martin Marcher @ 2008-02-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/8/08, Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:
> Window configurations are not sacred and manipulating them is easy.  I
> could make this into "exchange-windows" but it's easy enough as it is
> (the above takes about 1 second on a slow day).

nice I just added the following:

;; Window moving
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<up>") 'windmove-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<down>") 'windmove-down)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<left>") 'windmove-left)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<right>") 'windmove-right)

;; Yes I switched from vim :)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c k") 'windmove-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c j") 'windmove-down)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c h") 'windmove-left)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c l") 'windmove-right)

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
https://twitter.com/MartinMarcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

* Re: How to toggle to buffer previously selected ?
       [not found] <mailman.7093.1202381161.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-15 13:32 ` Sam Peterson
From: Sam Peterson @ 2008-02-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:45:49
+0100 didst step forth and proclaim thus:

> Hello all,
>
> I know 'C-x o' to select the next selected buffer but I'd like
> to toggle between 2 buffers even if more than 2 buffers are
> displayed.
>
> Thanks for your hints.
> --
> Francis

I think this *almost* does what you want.  I think you may have
trouble getting it to always swap between the last window you want,
but experimenting with the code will likely prove fruitful.

(defun go-back-window ()
  (interactive)
  (if (boundp 'last-window)
      (progn
	(let ((mywindow last-window))
	  (setq last-window (selected-window))
	  (select-window mywindow)))
    (setq last-window (selected-window))
    (select-window (next-window))))
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'go-back-window)

--
Sam Peterson
peabodyenator@gmail.com