all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* updating emacs wiki libraries
@ 2008-06-15 12:38 Peter Smerdon
From: Peter Smerdon @ 2008-06-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I was browsing the emacs wiki website and noticed that one of the
libraries I frequently use (info + by Drew Adams) has been updated. I
wondered if there was some code floating around that would allow emacs
to check for newer versions of .el files in my load path that are not
part of emacs officially?

I am relatively new to emacs and try to avoid outside libraries but
there is so much cool stuff on the wiki. I wonder if a bash script is
enough to check for a new version of something from time to time or
there is simpler way to coax emacs to do this?

--

Peter.

* Re: updating emacs wiki libraries
@ 2008-06-15 14:09 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-06-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

«I wondered if there was some code floating around that would allow
emacs to check for newer versions of .el files in my load path that
are not part of emacs officially?»

See:
http://tromey.com/elpa/index.html

However, packages must be registered with the site in order for
features like auto update to work.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2008-06-15 17:03 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-06-15 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Smerdon', help-gnu-emacs

> I was browsing the emacs wiki website and noticed that one of the
> libraries I frequently use (info + by Drew Adams) has been updated. I
> wondered if there was some code floating around that would allow emacs
> to check for newer versions of .el files in my load path that are not
> part of emacs officially?
>
> I am relatively new to emacs and try to avoid outside libraries but
> there is so much cool stuff on the wiki. I wonder if a bash script is
> enough to check for a new version of something from time to time or
> there is simpler way to coax emacs to do this?

Hi Peter,

I don't know of any such code, in general.

One problem is to be able to compare the version/date of a copy on the Web with
that of your local copy. And different libraries use different means to indicate
the version/date - my libraries use an `Update #', for instance.

FWIW, for Icicles, you can retrieve the libraries in bulk:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Libraries#toc3

You can perhaps modify one of those scripts to retrieve other libraries you are
interested in.

You can also follow my library updates (manually) using this link (from my home
page on the wiki):
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?action=rc;rcuseronly=DrewAdams;match=%5C.%
28el%7Ctar%29%28%5C.gz%29%3F%24;days=28;all=1;showedit=1

More generally, on the wiki RecentChanges page, you can filter for file type,
date, major/minor updates, and so on. See (1) the choices (links) just after the
page title and (2) the Filters section near the page bottom.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RecentChanges

HTH.

* Re: updating emacs wiki libraries
@ 2008-06-15 17:21   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'Peter Smerdon'

Drew Adams wrote:
>> I was browsing the emacs wiki website and noticed that one of the
>> libraries I frequently use (info + by Drew Adams) has been updated. I
>> wondered if there was some code floating around that would allow emacs
>> to check for newer versions of .el files in my load path that are not
>> part of emacs officially?
>>
>> I am relatively new to emacs and try to avoid outside libraries but
>> there is so much cool stuff on the wiki. I wonder if a bash script is
>> enough to check for a new version of something from time to time or
>> there is simpler way to coax emacs to do this?
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I don't know of any such code, in general.

Neither do I, but ediff-url.el can perhaps help a bit:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EdiffUrl

* Re: updating emacs wiki libraries
@ 2008-06-15 17:43   ` Peter Smerdon
From: Peter Smerdon @ 2008-06-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> More generally, on the wiki RecentChanges page, you can filter for file type,
> date, major/minor updates, and so on. See (1) the choices (links) just after the
> page title and (2) the Filters section near the page bottom.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RecentChanges

 Thanks for the tip, I will set up the recent changes page on the wiki
 to filter for me.  Thanks also for writing info+ !

--

Peter.