reopen 431 thanks Hi Stefan! Sorry for the lag, real life (and work) comes first. I re-added the people involved in this bug. However, please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list nor to the bug. On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:15:23 +02, Stefan Monnier wrote: >>> Now repeat this with 160x24 instead of 80x24. The frame is now >>> split horizontally and the new buffer is in a window to the *right* >>> of the original window. > > This is the desired default behavior. This is *now* the desired default behavior, but from my POV this is a *regression*: on Debian emacs22_22.2+2.2 still has the old behavior and I've some functions which rely on that. Arbitrarily breaking stuff is not acceptable IMO and this is the reason why I reopened this bug. >>> It's a bug because the size of the frame >>> should not affect the direction of the default split. > > Actually it does, now. If you don't like it, please change > split-width-threshold. It could be strange, but I really like the new default behavior: I tend to have my Emacs buffer at a width < 72, so most of the time I'd like to split horizontally. However, what I'd prefer instead is something configurable every time I want to split a window: there's a default behavior (let it be managed by `split-width-threshold' or `split-height-threshold', I don't care), but e.g. if I call C-u C-x 4 f the default behavior is reversed. Thx, bye, Gismo / Luca