all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get my mail back from RMAIL
@ 2009-01-06 16:43 John Velman
From: John Velman @ 2009-01-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

After all these years I decided to try emacs again -- I never used it
much, have been using Vim (and now on Mac mac_vim).
I've managed by stupid clicking to put everything from my mail spool
into my mail folder in a format only readable by emacs (apparently).
Details below:
While moving around in my newly installed (from disk image)  NS9.3-rc3
Emacs,I did something stupid.  I clicked on "Read Mail (with RMAIL)" on the
tools menu.  Of course I got what appears to be the whole mail spool  in
one emacs window.   In a panic, I killed emacs.  Now my mail spool is
empty.  I  tend to leave things that aren't from particular mailing lists
in my mail spool until I can deal with them -- probably a bad idea, I can
see now.  In my mail file I have files named "from" and "saved" that
appear to have been put there by emacs,  and are only readable by emacs.
(But not in a pleasant format).
OK ,

1),  how can I get my mail back in a format readable by Mutt, for
example -- they are too hard to deal with in the "saved" file format, and
 2)  Is there a mail "option" for emacs that gives me a list of "from
.. subject" and allows me to save things in different places in plain
text format --  I.e.,  I want something like the Mutt interface :-)
Or shall I give up on emacs mail and go back to Mutt?

Thanks,

John Velman

* Re: How to get my mail back from RMAIL
@ 2009-01-06 17:46 ` John Velman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Velman @ 2009-01-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, my face is red with embarassment.  I found a file called RMAIL in my
home directory, I found the command unrmail, and recovered stuff that
was in my spool file.
But I still need some advice on using emacs for Mail and News -- where
is the best place to look for it?
Best,

John Velman

John Velman<velman@cox.net> wrote:

>After all these years I decided to try emacs again -- I never used it
>much, have been using Vim (and now on Mac mac_vim).
>I've managed by stupid clicking to put everything from my mail spool
>into my mail folder in a format only readable by emacs (apparently).
>Details below:
>While moving around in my newly installed (from disk image)  NS9.3-rc3
>Emacs,I did something stupid.  I clicked on "Read Mail (with RMAIL)" on the
>tools menu.  Of course I got what appears to be the whole mail spool  in
>one emacs window.   In a panic, I killed emacs.  Now my mail spool is
>empty.  I  tend to leave things that aren't from particular mailing lists
>in my mail spool until I can deal with them -- probably a bad idea, I can
>see now.  In my mail file I have files named "from" and "saved" that
>appear to have been put there by emacs,  and are only readable by emacs.
>(But not in a pleasant format).
>OK ,
>
>1),  how can I get my mail back in a format readable by Mutt, for
>example -- they are too hard to deal with in the "saved" file format, and
> 2)  Is there a mail "option" for emacs that gives me a list of "from
>... subject" and allows me to save things in different places in plain
>text format --  I.e.,  I want something like the Mutt interface :-)
>Or shall I give up on emacs mail and go back to Mutt?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Velman
>

>--

* Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
@ 2009-01-06 18:09   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-01-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Velman (2009-01-06 17:46 +0000) wrote:

> But I still need some advice on using emacs for Mail and News -- where
> is the best place to look for it?

Gnus is probably the one to look for. You should have it already
installed, and it does both mail and news. Just start it with "M-x
gnus". It's quite difficult to configure at first but I'd like to
encourage you to learn it because Gnus is really excellent. For
documentation see:

    C-h i m Gnus RET

For configuration I'd say the customize interface is quite nice:

    M-x customize-group RET gnus RET

(RET means Enter in the Emacs speak)

There is also newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus if you need help. If you end up
using Gnus for mail it's probably a good idea to set it the default mail
program:

    M-x customize-option RET read-mail-command RET
    M-x customize-option RET mail-user-agent RET

* Re: Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
@ 2009-01-06 20:26     ` djcb
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4155.1231275801.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: djcb @ 2009-01-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> John Velman (2009-01-06 17:46 +0000) wrote:
>
> > But I still need some advice on using emacs for Mail and News -- where
> > is the best place to look for it?

Someone suggested gnus; it's power can be scary though... Another option
is to use a console mailer like 'mutt' and a console news reader like
'slrn' inside emacs.

In your ~/.muttrc, you can add something like:
  set editor="emacsclient %s +8 -a emacs"

In your ~/.slrnrc, you could add something like:
  set editor_command "emacsclient '%s' +%d -a emacs"

(Obviously, slrn and mutt need some more setup; the information can be
found on their websites)

In your .emacs, you can add something like:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist
	     '("\\.*mutt-*\\|.article\\|\\.followup"
		. mail-mode))

And something like this to start emacs-server:
    (server-start)

Now, inside emacs you can start mutt or slrn in a terminal; you can make
shortcuts for that, see:
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2008/12/running-console-programs-inside-emacs.html

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Dirk.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema          <djcb[at]djcbsoftware.nl>
             http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/
PGP: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

* Re: Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
@ 2009-01-06 21:03       ` Samuel Wales
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4155.1231275801.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-06 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djcb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Do many non-Japanese use wanderlust?

--
For personal gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly
causing further suffering and death by grossly corrupting science.  Do

* Re: Emacs news/mail client
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4155.1231275801.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-06 21:51         ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2009-01-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Samuel> Do many non-Japanese use wanderlust?

I use "the other" Japanese eMail client: Mew (http://www.mew.org/).

My opinion:

Love it because of its good IMAP and gpg/mailcrypt support and
robustness. Started my annual sorting of mail. 14000 in one go on a slow
machine. Mew worked all night without failing.

I use GNUS for News but prefer Mew for eMail because it comes with sensible
defaults. You can customise a lot, but you don't have to---which to my taste
you must with GNUS. Good manual.

Emacs includes mh-e, tried it when looking for a new client. I decided to use
Mew but I don't remember what I disliked about mh-e. Happy with it since 99 or
so.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

* Re: Thanks!, Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
@ 2009-01-06 22:27     ` John Velman
From: John Velman @ 2009-01-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks to both Dirk and Teemu.

I'm a little bit in the same condition I was last July when I wanted to
dash of a "small" program to get many views of a database.  Had to run
on Tiger (OS X 10.4), develop on Leopard(OS X 10.5).  I thought to use
Python and PyQT  -- not familiar with QT, but there's a good book....
Someone suggested I take a look at PyObjectiveC to get a real Mac interface.
 Then someone suggested I just look at Cocoa with objective-c.
Wow.  Complicated (cocoa, not objective-c),  but with the XCode IDE
_really_ nice.
Maybe I'll have a look at Gnus while I keep Mutt going...

Thanks again.

John Velman

* Re: Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
@ 2009-01-06 23:23         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.01.2009 um 22:03 schrieb Samuel Wales:

> Do many non-Japanese use wanderlust?

There are a few users of Carbon Emacs, a version of GNU Emacs 22.3
for Mac OS X, which has Wanderlust integrated.

--
Greetings

   Pete

One-Shot Case Study, n.:
	The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from
	which it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves
	and are sometimes green.

* Re: How to get my mail back from RMAIL
@ 2009-01-07  8:58 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.4220.1231318700.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2009-01-07  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Velman<velman@cox.net> writes:

> [...] In a panic, I killed emacs.

Good start for an Emacs haiku...

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to get my mail back from RMAIL
@ 2009-01-07  9:37 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4220.1231318700.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-07  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Velman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.01.2009 um 16:43 schrieb John Velman:

> NS9.3-rc3 Emacs

 From "regular" source of GNU Emacs 23.0.60 you can build up-to-date
versions of Emacs.app.

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar

@ 2009-01-08  0:18   ` John Velman
From: John Velman @ 2009-01-08  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs