all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc: how to insert version number in buffer (vc-status is gone)
@ 2009-01-31  9:16 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2009-01-31  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

In ancient times, vc had a function called
vc-status so it was possible to insert the vc version number into a
buffer with

(defun my-vc-status-insert ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "Version")
  (insert (vc-status buffer-file-name)))

This came in handy, if the modeline is gluttered and the file is large
so it is cumbersome to go at the beginning to the buffer in order to
check the version number.

As I said vc-status is long gone so I would like to know how I could
insert the version number.

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: vc: how to insert version number in buffer (vc-status is gone)
@ 2009-02-04  4:16 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-02-04  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> In ancient times, vc had a function called
> vc-status so it was possible to insert the vc version number into a
> buffer with
>
> (defun my-vc-status-insert ()
>   (interactive)
>   (insert "Version")
>   (insert (vc-status buffer-file-name)))
>
> This came in handy, if the modeline is gluttered and the file is large
> so it is cumbersome to go at the beginning to the buffer in order to
> check the version number.
>
> As I said vc-status is long gone so I would like to know how I could
> insert the version number.

(insert (vc-workfile-version buffer-file-name))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA