all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure git diff tool to use emacs diff tool
@ 2009-09-30 23:38 hap 497
From: hap 497 @ 2009-09-30 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

One can configure git merge tool to use vimdiff

$git config --global merge.tool vimdiff

How can I change it to use emacs diff? And is it possible to use
emacsclient for diff?
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient#toc1 (so that I can speed
things up by not launching a new emacs every time).

Thank you.

* Re: How to configure git diff tool to use emacs diff tool
@ 2009-10-01  2:23 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-01  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hap 497 <hap497@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> One can configure git merge tool to use vimdiff
>
> $git config --global merge.tool vimdiff
>
> How can I change it to use emacs diff? And is it possible to use
> emacsclient for diff?
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient#toc1 (so that I can speed
> things up by not launching a new emacs every time).
>
> Thank you.

It seems obvious, how to do this.  The emacs function is `ediff-files' and it
takes 2 arguments, namely the files to run diff on.  Combine this with
the --eval option of emacs(client) in a shell.

$ cat ~/bin/ediff
#!/bin/sh

emacsclient --eval "(ediff-files \"$1\" \"$2\")"

-ap

* Re: How to configure git diff tool to use emacs diff tool
@ 2009-10-01  5:14   ` n179911
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7823.1254381039.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: n179911 @ 2009-10-01  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried you script. When I run it at command line with 2 different files:

$ /Users/paul/bin/ediff.sh src/ComposeMessageActivity.java src/NewActivity.java

it works.

But after i set that up to git merge.tool
$ git config --global merge.tool /Users/paul/bin/ediff.sh
$ git diff
It does not invoke the ediff. It still uses the shell diff tool.

Thank you for any idea.

@ 2009-10-01  7:10     ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7823.1254381039.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-01  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>> hap 497 <hap497@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One can configure git merge tool to use vimdiff
>>>
>>> $git config --global merge.tool vimdiff
>>>
>>> How can I change it to use emacs diff? And is it possible to use
>>> emacsclient for diff?
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient#toc1 (so that I can speed
>>> things up by not launching a new emacs every time).
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> It seems obvious, how to do this.  The emacs function is `ediff-files' and it
>> takes 2 arguments, namely the files to run diff on.  Combine this with
>> the --eval option of emacs(client) in a shell.
>>
>> $ cat ~/bin/ediff
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> emacsclient --eval "(ediff-files \"$1\" \"$2\")"
>>
>> -ap
>>

> I tried you script. When I run it at command line with 2 different files:
>
> $ /Users/paul/bin/ediff.sh src/ComposeMessageActivity.java src/NewActivity.java
>
> it works.
>
> But after i set that up to git merge.tool
> $ git config --global merge.tool /Users/paul/bin/ediff.sh
> $ git diff
> It does not invoke the ediff. It still uses the shell diff tool.
>
> Thank you for any idea.

Read the manual, especially `merge.tool' and `merge.<tool>.cmd'.  I
never used git-merge, so I don't know how this ought to behave.

-ap

* Re: How to configure git diff tool to use emacs diff tool
@ 2009-10-02 20:04 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-02 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hap 497 <hap497@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> One can configure git merge tool to use vimdiff
>
> $git config --global merge.tool vimdiff
>
> How can I change it to use emacs diff? And is it possible to use
> emacsclient for diff?

I had another look at this.  The library in emacs is called emerge,
which is already supported by git.

-ap

@ 2009-10-23  4:41       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-10-23  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)