all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* UTF-8 character encoding in SVN log messages
@ 2009-12-10 13:24 Thomas Arildsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.12715.1260482580.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thomas Arildsen @ 2009-12-10 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have set my Subversion up to open log messages for editing in emacs
using emacsclient. It works fine, but I get errors when I just save the
buffer CTRL-X S and quit it. It works fine, if I use CTRL-X RET F to
specify the buffer's character endcoding to utf-8 before saving and
quitting.
Can I in some way configure Emacs/Subversion to open the log message
buffer to be saved with utf-8 encoding by default? For example by a
command line parameter to emacsclient?

Thomas Arildsen

--
Al email til afsenderadressen går tabt.
Min rigtige adresse er hos arildsen dot org til brugeren thomas.

* Re: UTF-8 character encoding in SVN log messages
@ 2009-12-10 22:02 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.12715.1260482580.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-12-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Arildsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.12.2009 um 14:24 schrieb Thomas Arildsen:

> Can I in some way configure Emacs/Subversion to open the log message
> buffer to be saved with utf-8 encoding by default? For example by a
> command line parameter to emacsclient?

The latter does not work, which you can check by invoking emacsclient
with --help. The former might work with

	(prefer-coding-system	'utf-8-unix)

in your init file. Environment variables like LC_CTYPE set to an UTF-8
value should provoke the preferred use of UTF-8. Except you have set
some non-UTF-8 language or whatever environment...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish,
and you've depleted the lake.

@ 2010-02-03 12:35   ` Thomas Arildsen
From: Thomas Arildsen @ 2010-02-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:02:50 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 10.12.2009 um 14:24 schrieb Thomas Arildsen:
>
>> Can I in some way configure Emacs/Subversion to open the log message
>> buffer to be saved with utf-8 encoding by default? For example by a
>> command line parameter to emacsclient?
>

> The latter does not work, which you can check by invoking emacsclient
> with --help. The former might work with
>
> 	(prefer-coding-system	'utf-8-unix)
>
> in your init file. Environment variables like LC_CTYPE set to an UTF-8
> value should provoke the preferred use of UTF-8. Except you have set
> some non-UTF-8 language or whatever environment...

Thanks, your suggestion seems to have solved the issue.

Thomas Arildsen
--
All email to sender address is lost.
My real adress is at es dot aau dot dk for user tha.

* Re: UTF-8 character encoding in SVN log messages
@ 2010-02-03 21:26     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-02-03 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas Arildsen <tha.es-aau-dk@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:02:50 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 10.12.2009 um 14:24 schrieb Thomas Arildsen:
>>
>>> Can I in some way configure Emacs/Subversion to open the log message
>>> buffer to be saved with utf-8 encoding by default? For example by a
>>> command line parameter to emacsclient?
>>

>> The latter does not work, which you can check by invoking emacsclient
>> with --help. The former might work with
>>
>> 	(prefer-coding-system	'utf-8-unix)
>>
>> in your init file. Environment variables like LC_CTYPE set to an UTF-8
>> value should provoke the preferred use of UTF-8. Except you have set
>> some non-UTF-8 language or whatever environment...
>>

> Thanks, your suggestion seems to have solved the issue.
>
> Thomas Arildsen

FYI From memory, there is a config setting you can put in your
~/.subversion/config file that also sets the encoding used in change
logs. Normally, this would (I think( default to what the setting is on
the local system i.e. LANG= and LC_* etc. However, if this is set to
something like iso8859-1 and you set/force emacs to use UTF-8, you may
get unwanted/unnecessary conversions that could lead to mixed encoding
in the file (especially if you sometimes use other tools with svn).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au