all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on the Nokia N900
@ 2010-02-16  7:46 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-02-16  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just bought a Nokia N900. I was wondering if it would be possible to
install Emacs on it?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Emacs on the Nokia N900
@ 2010-02-16 14:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-02-16 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I just bought a Nokia N900. I was wondering if it would be possible to
> install Emacs on it?

It is.  At least we have received reports that the Emacs-23.2 pretest
builds fine on N900.

* Re: Emacs on the Nokia N900
@ 2010-02-16 19:36 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2010-02-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Cecil,

    Cecil> I just bought a Nokia N900. I was wondering if it would be possible to
    Cecil> install Emacs on it?

E23 is happily running on my N900. Google for "emacs n900" and use the
first result....

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: Emacs on the Nokia N900
@ 2010-02-16 20:37 ` Thomas Munro
From: Thomas Munro @ 2010-02-16 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 16, 7:46 am, Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
> I just bought a Nokia N900. I was wondering if it would be possible to
> install Emacs on it?

Yes the first Google result (as indicated by someone else) works
perfectly for me, it's great for some lightweight hacking on the tube/
metro/bus etc.  I haven't yet settled on a decent way to enter <
{ [  ` and various other symbols I need (that Emacs build doesn't
allow you to use the standard extended keyboard with the blue arrow +
ctrl), but I've tried a few different ways.  Any suggestions?  I've
been able to sample the accelerometer from Emacs Lisp (it's just
reading a file), but coming up with an algorithm for recognising
different shakes/gestures so that I can bind them to Emacs functions
is proving difficult :-)

* Re: Emacs on the Nokia N900
@ 2010-02-17  5:00   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-02-17  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb.bulk@gmail.com> writes:

>     Cecil> I just bought a Nokia N900. I was wondering if it would be possible to
>     Cecil> install Emacs on it?
>
> E23 is happily running on my N900. Google for "emacs n900" and use the
> first result....

Looks interesting. I have only one problem. How do I know it can be
trusted? I do not know this site, so I do not know if there are 'hidden
treasures' in the code. This is of course also possible with the regular
installs, but more unlikely and will come to the surface sooner.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer