all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-23  6:20 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-03-23  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm having a very weird problem: I recently switched from a Mac to
Ubuntu, and at some point during the tweaking and adjusting and fixing,
ido-mode started requiring my administrative password, via tramp. I have
ido turned on via the customize interface, and commenting out:

'(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))

in the customize variable list fixes the problem. It also turns off
ido-mode, obviously, and re-enabling it via M-x ido-mode once again
prompts for my sudo password (I see "Password for /sudo:root@mymachine:"
in the minibuffer).

My password entered, ido-mode is enabled and all is well. This leaves me
with an open buffer called *tramp/sudo root@mymachine*, the contents of
which is this single line:

(("`/etc/'") 155 0 0 1269322750.0 1269322641.0 1269322641.0 12288.0
"drwxr-xr-x" t 16386.0 -1)

This is deeply mysterious to me (I have no open file or dired buffers
under /etc/), but it sure looks meaningful and I hope someone here will
have a clue as to what's going on.

I have recentf and desktop-mode enabled; there are no root-owned files
in recentf or desktop, and while desktop's "file-name-history" variable
had some sudo files, setting that variable to the empty list and
restarting didn't change anything.

Any and all help appreciated!

Eric

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0) of
2009-09-27 on crested, modified by Debian

These are all my other ido-related customizations, I don't have any
non-customize ido variables set:

 '(ido-auto-merge-work-directories-length -1)
 '(ido-create-new-buffer (quote always))
 '(ido-enable-flex-matching t)
 '(ido-enable-tramp-completion nil)
 '(ido-everywhere t)
 '(ido-max-work-directory-list 10)
 '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido)) ;this is requiring sudo
 '(ido-record-ftp-work-directories nil)
 '(ido-show-dot-for-dired t)

* Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-23  8:35 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-03-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
Eric Abrahamsen <girzel@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a very weird problem: I recently switched from a Mac to
> Ubuntu, and at some point during the tweaking and adjusting and fixing,
> ido-mode started requiring my administrative password, via tramp. I have
> ido turned on via the customize interface, and commenting out:
>
> '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))
>
> in the customize variable list fixes the problem. It also turns off
> ido-mode, obviously, and re-enabling it via M-x ido-mode once again
> prompts for my sudo password (I see "Password for /sudo:root@mymachine:"
> in the minibuffer).
>
> My password entered, ido-mode is enabled and all is well. This leaves me
> with an open buffer called *tramp/sudo root@mymachine*, the contents of
> which is this single line:
>
> (("`/etc/'") 155 0 0 1269322750.0 1269322641.0 1269322641.0 12288.0
> "drwxr-xr-x" t 16386.0 -1)
>
> This is deeply mysterious to me (I have no open file or dired buffers
> under /etc/), but it sure looks meaningful and I hope someone here will
> have a clue as to what's going on.
>
> I have recentf and desktop-mode enabled; there are no root-owned files
Are you sure?
If desktop-mode is enabled and you have a buffer like /etc opened as
sudo in your saved buffer in desktop, at each time you restart emacs,
desktop will open this buffer and you will be prompted for sudo
password.
So you have to kill these buffers before quitting emacs.
You can try to set `desktop-files-not-to-save', but it never worked for
me. :-(
So i use this:(add to .emacs)

,----

`----

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-23  9:45   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-03-23  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:35, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can try to set `desktop-files-not-to-save', but it never worked for
> me. :-(

Could you please report that as a bug with M-x report-emacs-bug?

    Juanma

* Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-23 10:07     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-03-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:35, Thierry Volpiatto
> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can try to set `desktop-files-not-to-save', but it never worked for
>> me. :-(
>
> Could you please report that as a bug with M-x report-emacs-bug?
Done.
--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-24  2:34 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-03-24  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen <girzel@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having a very weird problem: I recently switched from a Mac to
> Ubuntu, and at some point during the tweaking and adjusting and fixing,
> ido-mode started requiring my administrative password, via tramp. I have
> ido turned on via the customize interface, and commenting out:
>
> '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))
>
> in the customize variable list fixes the problem. It also turns off
> ido-mode, obviously, and re-enabling it via M-x ido-mode once again
> prompts for my sudo password (I see "Password for /sudo:root@mymachine:"
> in the minibuffer).

Somethig similar happened to me recently. The solution was to remove
$HOME/.ido.last That file keeps a history of visited files. I suspect
that if you ever visited a file as root via TRAMP, the fact is recorded
and when ido-mode is activated on the next emacs session somehow it
tries to access the file, or at least test for its existence, which
activates TRAMP.

There are other issues with ido-mode and TRAMP. For instance, sometimes
ido loads TRAMP for no reason, as in Windows the first time you enter a
path containing a colon. ido-mode has some variables for avoiding
code without success. I guess that ido invokes some generic facility
which is TRAMP-aware, that is, the problem is not in ido.el itself but
on some emacs API.

[snip]

* Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
@ 2010-03-24 12:24   ` Thamer Mahmoud
From: Thamer Mahmoud @ 2010-03-24 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> If desktop-mode is enabled and you have a buffer like /etc opened as
> sudo in your saved buffer in desktop, at each time you restart emacs,
> desktop will open this buffer and you will be prompted for sudo
> password.
> So you have to kill these buffers before quitting emacs.

I think someone brought up this issue some time ago (either here on this
list or in EmacsWiki). Based on that discussion, I added the following
hook to my .emacs, and I no longer see a prompt at startup:

(add-hook 'desktop-save-hook 'tramp-cleanup-all-buffers)

I'm using the tramp version included in Emacs 23.

hth,
Thamer