all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto-complete is really fast in emacs-lisp buffers but slow in text-mode buffers
@ 2011-01-26 10:37 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been using auto-complete 0.2.0 and it works very well generally
but for some reason did not work in org-mode buffers.  I decided to
upgrade to the latest stable version of auto-complete, version 1.3.1.
This new version works in org-mode buffers so I'm happy in this regard.
However, it is very very slow in org-mode and text-mode buffers yet fast
in emacs-lisp buffers.

Does anybody know what could be the cause of the difference in speed?
The settings, as far as I can tell, are global so they should apply to
all buffers equally?

My actual relevant settings are:

(require 'auto-complete)
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(ac-config-default)
(setq-default
 ac-sources '(
	      ac-source-abbrev
	      ;;ac-source-dictionary
	      ;;ac-source-symbols
	      ac-source-words-in-all-buffer
	      ac-source-words-in-buffer
	      )
 )
(setq
 ac-auto-show-menu 0.1
 ;; ac-auto-start 3
 ac-menu-height 20
 ac-modes (append ac-modes '(org-mode jde-mode latex-mode ledger-mode mail-mode message-mode text-mode))
 )
(global-auto-complete-mode t)

eric

--
Eric S Fraga (: http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/ :)

* Re: auto-complete is really fast in emacs-lisp buffers but slow in text-mode buffers
@ 2011-01-26 11:09 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-26 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello,
>
> I have been using auto-complete 0.2.0 and it works very well generally
> but for some reason did not work in org-mode buffers.  I decided to
> upgrade to the latest stable version of auto-complete, version 1.3.1.
> This new version works in org-mode buffers so I'm happy in this regard.
> However, it is very very slow in org-mode and text-mode buffers yet fast
> in emacs-lisp buffers.

[...]

Apologies; I should have added that I am using emacs version 24.0.50.1
(Debian emacs-snapshot from a couple of weeks ago).  This may or may not
be relevant, of course...

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* Re: auto-complete is really fast in emacs-lisp buffers but slow in text-mode buffers
@ 2011-01-26 12:20   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using auto-complete 0.2.0 and it works very well generally
>> but for some reason did not work in org-mode buffers.  I decided to
>> upgrade to the latest stable version of auto-complete, version 1.3.1.
>> This new version works in org-mode buffers so I'm happy in this regard.
>> However, it is very very slow in org-mode and text-mode buffers yet fast
>> in emacs-lisp buffers.
>
> [...]

and further apologies: problem sorted!  The problem is caused by
flyspell-mode.  There is a workaround, imaginatively named
ac-flyspell-workaround!  Invoking this command solves the problem and
auto-complete works like a charm now!

Sorry for the noise but maybe this will help others in the long term.

Thanks for listening,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

* SOLVED (was Re: auto-complete is really fast in emacs-lisp buffers but slow in text-mode buffers)
@ 2011-01-26 12:20   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2011-01-26 15:57     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> and further apologies: problem sorted!  The problem is caused by
> flyspell-mode.  There is a workaround, imaginatively named
> ac-flyspell-workaround!  Invoking this command solves the problem and
> auto-complete works like a charm now!

Maybe you could ask the auto-complete guys to M-x report-emacs-bug about
the flyspell.el problem so that the workaround can be dropped in some
future version?