all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hook to debbug to forward bug reports to modules maintainers?
@ 2011-07-12 16:40 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is it possible to have bugs forwarded to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
when then are about Org?

We would avoid double work: sometimes people fix things in Emacs
that have been already fixed in latest Org version, or I have to
duplicate the fix in Org's version.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Hook to debbug to forward bug reports to modules maintainers?
@ 2011-07-12 17:58 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bastien wrote:

> Is it possible to have bugs forwarded to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> when then are about Org?

Not automatically, no. You can check

http://debbugs.gnu.org/org-mode

from time to time, assuming someone reassigns things to that package
("someone" usually does). Any subsequent correspondence on those reports
goes to both addresses automatically. If people file bugs with the right
package, this will happen from the start, but you cannot rely on people
to do that, else you could just ask them to send them to your preferred
address from the start.

> We would avoid double work: sometimes people fix things in Emacs
> that have been already fixed in latest Org version, or I have to
> duplicate the fix in Org's version.

The right solution to this would seem to be more frequent syncing
between the two repositories. Since there is a daily (?) update of the
org version in GNU ELPA, I sometimes wonder if the months-out-of-date
version in Emacs core is still useful. Looks like it is 7 months behind
at present?

* Re: Hook to debbug to forward bug reports to modules maintainers?
@ 2011-07-12 20:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-12 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Is it possible to have bugs forwarded to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> when then are about Org?
>
> We would avoid double work: sometimes people fix things in Emacs
> that have been already fixed in latest Org version, or I have to
> duplicate the fix in Org's version.

If I see an org-related bug report while doing a triage, should I just
forward it to you, or do you already look at the Emacs bug database?

* Re: Hook to debbug to forward bug reports to modules maintainers?
@ 2011-07-12 21:52   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> If I see an org-related bug report while doing a triage, should I just
> forward it to you, or do you already look at the Emacs bug database?

I just subscribed to bug-gnu-emacs@lists.gnu.org and will do the
filtering myself -- thanks for proposing!

--

@ 2011-07-12 21:54   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Not automatically, no. You can check
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/org-mode

Thanks for the pointer.

> from time to time, assuming someone reassigns things to that package
> ("someone" usually does). Any subsequent correspondence on those reports
> goes to both addresses automatically. If people file bugs with the right
> package, this will happen from the start, but you cannot rely on people
> to do that, else you could just ask them to send them to your preferred
> address from the start.

Ok, I will explore this interface more carefully.

>> We would avoid double work: sometimes people fix things in Emacs
>> that have been already fixed in latest Org version, or I have to
>> duplicate the fix in Org's version.
>
> The right solution to this would seem to be more frequent syncing
> between the two repositories.

I will.

I didn't sync the 7.5 as I hoped I could find a better way than just
_copying_ the files -- but I'll merge 7.6.1 as soon as it is released
and will release more often.

Keeping an fresh version in GNU ELPA will still be useful IMHO.

--
 Bastien