all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-18 22:58 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  It seems right now, I have to do c-set-style for each file/buffer I open.
Is there a way I can set this in my .emacs file so that all files will have
the same c style indentation?

Thanks,
Jai

* Re: how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-18 23:17 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-19 00:58, Jai Dayal wrote:
> Hi,
>    It seems right now, I have to do c-set-style for each file/buffer I
> open.  Is there a way I can set this in my .emacs file so that all files
> will have the same c style indentation?
>
> Thanks,
> Jai

I think you may want to try:

M-x customize-group RET c RET

I think "C Default Style" is what you're looking for, but I don't know
C, so I can't be sure.

Hope that helps,
Deniz

* Re: how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-19  5:03 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-07-19  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 19 2011, Jai Dayal wrote:

>   It seems right now, I have to do c-set-style for each file/buffer I open.
> Is there a way I can set this in my .emacs file so that all files will have
> the same c style indentation?

Without customize:

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (c-set-style "linux")
             ... ; other settings
             ))

           Peter

* Re: how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-20  2:34   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to be working.  For example, I change the
style to the style I have in the code below, and the indentation will be
different.  I can also put in garbage instead of "linux" and no errors
occur.

Maybe I'm missing something?

@ 2011-07-20  5:30     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-20  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.07.2011 04:34, schrieb Jai Dayal:
> I tried this, but it doesn't seem to be working.  For example, I change the
> style to the style I have in the code below, and the indentation will be
> different.  I can also put in garbage instead of "linux" and no errors
> occur.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something?
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Peter Münster<pmlists@free.fr>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 19 2011, Jai Dayal wrote:
>>
>>>    It seems right now, I have to do c-set-style for each file/buffer I
>> open.
>>> Is there a way I can set this in my .emacs file so that all files will
>> have
>>> the same c style indentation?
>>
>> Without customize:

>> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
>>           '(lambda ()
>>              (c-set-style "linux")
>>              ... ; other settings
>>              ))
>>
>> --
>>             Peter

Emacs' c-modes have it's own lists.

Please consider a post onto bug-cc-mode@gnu.org

cheers,

Andreas

* Re: how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-20  7:15     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-07-20  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 20 2011, Jai Dayal wrote:

> I tried this, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Example? Emacs-version?

This works for me:

emacs -Q
M-: (add-hook 'c-mode-hook '(lambda () (c-set-style "linux")))
open "foo.c"
C-h v c-indentation-style
-> result = "linux"

> For example, I change the
> style to the style I have in the code below, and the indentation will be
> different.

To be expected, isn't it?

> I can also put in garbage instead of "linux" and no errors occur.

I get "Undefined style: garbage" in the *Messages* buffer.

--
           Peter

* Re: how to set c-set-style at startup?
@ 2011-07-20 16:12       ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-20 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs