all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bug or feature? 'c' in dired-mode changes buffer layout
@ 2012-08-16  6:26 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-08-16  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am wondering if the following behavior is a bug or a feature:

1) open an Emacs buffer
2) Split the buffer via C-x 2
3) Change to dired mode via C-x d; now you have two buffers on top of each
other, one in dired mode
4) use 'c' in the buffer in dired mode to get a shell; instead of two buffers on
top of each other (one of which is a shell), the buffer-split is removed and the
shell is displayed as a single buffer in the frame.

(this is on Emacs 24, Ubuntu 12.04).

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: Bug or feature? 'c' in dired-mode changes buffer layout
@ 2012-08-16  6:57 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2012-08-16  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if the following behavior is a bug or a feature:
>
> 1) open an Emacs buffer
> 2) Split the buffer via C-x 2
> 3) Change to dired mode via C-x d; now you have two buffers on top of each
> other, one in dired mode
> 4) use 'c' in the buffer in dired mode to get a shell; instead of two buffers on
> top of each other (one of which is a shell), the buffer-split is removed and the
> shell is displayed as a single buffer in the frame.
>
> (this is on Emacs 24, Ubuntu 12.04).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marius

'c' seems to be undefined in dired buffer by default (GNU Emacs 24.1.1
on Cygwin).

What does 'C-h k c' output in your dired buffer?

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: Bug or feature? 'c' in dired-mode changes buffer layout
@ 2012-08-16  7:12   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-08-16  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Filipp,

It returns:

,----
| c runs the command shell-instead-dired, which is an interactive Lisp function in
| `.emacs'.
|
| It is bound to c.
|
| (shell-instead-dired)
|
| Not documented.
|
| [back]
`----

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2012-08-16  8:14     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2012-08-16  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert writes:

> Dear Filipp,
>
> It returns:
>
> ,----
> | c runs the command shell-instead-dired, which is an interactive Lisp function in
> | `.emacs'.
> |
> | It is bound to c.
> |
> | (shell-instead-dired)
> |
> | Not documented.
> |
> | [back]
> `----

Please do not top-post.

The output shows that 'shell-instead-dired' is your custom function
defined in .emacs. Is it the function from here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8052946/emacs-dired-mode-how-to-exit-and-end-up-in-a-shell-in-the-current-directory
? If yes then you need to delete (delete-other-windows) call.

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: Bug or feature? 'c' in dired-mode changes buffer layout
@ 2012-08-16  8:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-16  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.08.2012 um 08:26 schrieb Marius Hofert:

> I am wondering if the following behavior is a bug or a feature:

I'd say it's a feature of extra software you are using.

When I invoke GNU Emacs with -Q, i.e., with no customisation at all, then dired-mode does not know 'c'. So what you see is a feature or bug in the extra software you are using.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: Bug or feature? 'c' in dired-mode changes buffer layout
@ 2012-08-16  9:09       ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-08-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Please do not top-post.
>
> The output shows that 'shell-instead-dired' is your custom function
> defined in .emacs. Is it the function from here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8052946/emacs-dired-mode-how-to-exit-and-end-up-in-a-shell-in-the-current-directory
> ? If yes then you need to delete (delete-other-windows) call.

Dear Filipp,

very, very good, that was precisely the issue!

Many thanks for helping.

Cheers,

Marius