all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Emacs LISP] Login freenode using ERC with prompt for password only
@ 2012-12-01  9:21 Wenshan Ren
From: Wenshan Ren @ 2012-12-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone, I am new to Emacs LISP and trying to write a emacs lisp, which hopefully will enable me to login irc without choosing server/port/nick.

After reading "C-h f erc", I end up with

(defun my-erc() (erc :server "irc.freenode.net" :port "6667" :nick "mynickname"))

If I put `:pass "mypassword"` at the end of the list, it works fine. However, I don't want to put my password in .emacs, so I hope Emacs will ask me for password when needed.

With the my-erc function I wrote, erc will login password and I have to identify myself afterwards.

Could you give me some hints on solving this?

Wenshan

* Re: [Emacs LISP] Login freenode using ERC with prompt for password only
@ 2012-12-01  9:54 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-12-01  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Wenshan Ren <renws1990@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone, I am new to Emacs LISP and trying to write a emacs
> lisp, which hopefully will enable me to login irc without choosing
> server/port/nick.
>
> After reading "C-h f erc", I end up with
>
> (defun my-erc() (erc :server "irc.freenode.net" :port "6667" :nick "mynickname"))
>
> If I put `:pass "mypassword"` at the end of the list, it works
> fine. However, I don't want to put my password in .emacs, so I hope
> Emacs will ask me for password when needed.
>
> With the my-erc function I wrote, erc will login password and I have to identify myself afterwards.
>
> Could you give me some hints on solving this?

You could consider storing your irc password in ~/.authinfo, where other
passwords (for news, email, ftp, etc) can also be stored.

(require 'cl)
(defvar *authinfo-file* "~/.authinfo")
(defun password-for-machine-login (machine login)
   (cdr (assoc "password"
               (find-if (lambda (entry)
                           (and (string= machine (cdr (assoc "machine" entry)))
                                (string= login   (cdr (assoc "login" entry)))))
                         (netrc-parse *authinfo-file*)))))

(password-for-machine-login "irc.freenode.net" "pjb")
--> "XXXXXXXX"

or you can ask the password to the user each time (it grows old very
soon):

(defun password-for-machine-login (machine login)
   (let ((password-cache nil))
      (password-read (format "password for %s at %s ?" login machine))))

@ 2012-12-01 20:52   ` Wenshan Ren
From: Wenshan Ren @ 2012-12-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you so much, your reply really made me better on Emacs Lisp.

I can't understand the first function very well as a beginner, so I modified the second to meet my needs, very trivial, but works :)

(defun myerc ()
  (interactive)
  (let
      ((password-cache nil))
    (erc
     :server "irc.freenode.net"
     :port "6667"
     :nick "Meatball_py"
     :password (password-read (format "password for Meatball at freenode?")))))

Thanks again.