all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* special characters for abbrev
@ 2013-07-03 13:39 Muhali
From: Muhali @ 2013-07-03 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I am sure that in a previous (not so old) emacs version I could use the '`'
character for abbreviations, e.g. `fu for function.

With the current emacs (24.3) this is no longer possible, and I am not able
to find anything in the help.

What am I missing?

M.

* Re: special characters for abbrev
       [not found] <mailman.135.1372863282.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-03 20:05 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.201.1372932320.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-03 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Muhali <muhali@users.sf.net> writes:

> I am sure that in a previous (not so old) Emacs version I could
> use the '`' character for abbreviations, e.g. `fu for function.
> With the current Emacs (24.3) this is no longer possible, and I
> am not able to find anything in the help.

This has to do with the definition of a word. Place point after
'u' in `fu - then, hit M-b. See, you don't get past the '`'.

I asked about this a while back; you might benefit from the
answer.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/71101

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: special characters for abbrev
@ 2013-07-04 10:05   ` Muhali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.201.1372932320.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Muhali @ 2013-07-04 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> This has to do with the definition of a word.

Thanks. But when and where was the change, since it used to work before?

@ 2013-07-04 11:05     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Muhali <muhali@users.sf.net> writes:

> Thanks. But when and where was the change, since it used to work
> before?

I don't know. But: Why does it matter? Are you going to revert to
a legacy Emacs version just to expand `fu into function?

If you really want it, possibly you can change the definition of a
word - perhaps sensibly, only for the specific mode, in which you
need it, not to cause unnecessary havoc. But I'd advice against
this. Again, read the material I sent you last time (if you didn't
already).

Why is it so important with `fu? Why can't you make it xfu or
whatever?

Just sayin'.

--

@ 2013-07-04 11:06     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

       [not found]       ` <mailman.205.1372937471.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2013-07-04 11:30       ` Muhali
       [not found]       ` <mailman.205.1372937471.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Muhali @ 2013-07-04 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Why is it so important with `fu? Why can't you make it xfu or whatever?

I can definitely live with the change, and it is probably for the better. I
just wanted to know whether this is due to emacs or me changing something.

@ 2013-07-04 11:46         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Muhali <muhali@users.sf.net> writes:

> I can definitely live with the change, and it is probably for
> the better. I just wanted to know whether this is due to Emacs
> or me changing something.

In cases such like that, start Emacs with - I guess -Q is
sufficient - and see if it is still the same. From the man page:

-q, --no-init-file
Do not load an init file.

--no-site-file
Do not load the site-wide startup file.

-Q, --quick
Similar   to   "-q  --no-site-file  --no-splash".
Also, avoid processing X resources.