all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using blank for completion
@ 2014-03-09  0:32 gottlieb
From: gottlieb @ 2014-03-09  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I prefer to have the "old-style" completion where space completes a word
and tab completes as far as possible.  In my emacs.d/init.el I have

(define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map (kbd "SPC")
  'minibuffer-complete-word)
(define-key minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map (kbd "SPC")
  'minibuffer-complete-word)

This has worked fine for several years and continues to work fine.
However, when I byte compile it I receive the warning

init.el:9:13:Warning: `minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map' is an
    obsolete variable (as of 24.1).

What is the correct way to achieve this effect.

thanks,
allan

* Re: using blank for completion
@ 2014-03-09  0:56 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-09  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gottlieb@nyu.edu writes:

> I prefer to have the "old-style" completion where space completes a word
> and tab completes as far as possible.  In my emacs.d/init.el I have
>
> (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map (kbd "SPC")
>   'minibuffer-complete-word)
> (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map (kbd "SPC")
>   'minibuffer-complete-word)
>
> This has worked fine for several years and continues to work fine.
> However, when I byte compile it I receive the warning
>
> init.el:9:13:Warning: `minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map' is an
>     obsolete variable (as of 24.1).
>
> What is the correct way to achieve this effect.

AFAIU, you can just remove the
`minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map' and will still get what you
want for file completion.  There were two different maps for file
completion existing, but now, seemingly
`minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map' is always used (and combined
with either `minibuffer-local-completion-map' or
`minibuffer-local-must-match-map').

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: using blank for completion
@ 2014-03-09  3:00   ` gottlieb
From: gottlieb @ 2014-03-09  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Mar 08 2014, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> gottlieb@nyu.edu writes:
>
>> I prefer to have the "old-style" completion where space completes a word
>> and tab completes as far as possible.  In my emacs.d/init.el I have
>>
>> (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map (kbd "SPC")
>>   'minibuffer-complete-word)
>> (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map (kbd "SPC")
>>   'minibuffer-complete-word)
>>
>> This has worked fine for several years and continues to work fine.
>> However, when I byte compile it I receive the warning
>>
>> init.el:9:13:Warning: `minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map' is an
>>     obsolete variable (as of 24.1).
>>
>> What is the correct way to achieve this effect.
>
> AFAIU, you can just remove the
> `minibuffer-local-filename-must-match-map' and will still get what you
> want for file completion.  There were two different maps for file
> completion existing, but now, seemingly
> `minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map' is always used (and combined
> with either `minibuffer-local-completion-map' or
> `minibuffer-local-must-match-map').
>
> Regards,
> Michael.

Thank you.