Emanuel Berg writes: > Sharon Kimble writes: > >> I'm trying to find the documentation of "fancyhdr", >> part of "Texlive", and I've tried man fancyhdr, info >> fancyhdr, show fancyhdr. >> >> but its failing on all of them. > > Yes :) > > man are the Unix manpages and they deal with Unix tools > as well as Unix C programming because of their common > history not to say symbiosis to this very day. > > info was the documentation project of the GNU people, > it is hypertext just like the Internet (and the man > pages, but the man much less so) - the interface of > info is more bulky than the default for the man pages, > which is why those are preferred by most (not all) > people then and now. When the internet hit big, I would > suspect some steam went of the info project. > > What is show? That’s actually a 'bash-alias' I've set up and this is the line - ╭──── │alias show='apt-cache show' ╰──── which shows a very descriptive description of the programme, giving package size, homepage, etc. > > There is a man page for Emacs, and 'info emacs' gets > you the Emacs FAQ. By the way, note how similar info > looks to Emacs. As for man (as a tool), it is an > interface to the pager less, I would think. > > As for packages, the kind you install on your computer, > if you are on Debian or Ubuntu or some or their zillion > forks, you can get an idea with 'aptitude show' - I > wouldn't call this "documentation", though, but > sometimes good URLs and the like can be found. Sounds very similar to "apt-cache show". > >> So how do I get the documentation for an emacs or a >> latex package to show on the command-line please? > > With Emacs stuff, there is no reason to use the shell > for that, use the very elaborate > online-and-dynamic-and-associated help system (not on > paper, and immediately updated, and written next to the > code it relates to). But don't you know that already?! > If not, I have news for you :) > > describe-function > describe-mode > describe-variable > etc. (For more: `C-h ?' for help-for-help) > > Or hit `C-h k' and then whatever key - cool, isn't it? I've never had any success with `C-h k' or similar, so I tend to use "F1 v/k/whatever" which gets the same result. > > For LaTeX, there is something called "TeX by Topic" as > well as the CLI tool tlmgr - go fish :) > Yes I am on Debian testing, and a quick play shows that 'tlmgr' does work even though everything in 'tex-live' was installed using the Debian package manager, in fact, there was a major upgrade this morning. Thanks Sharon. -- A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk my git repo = https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1