all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bbdb-define-all-aliases
@ 2015-01-03 18:53 Sharon Kimble
       [not found] ` <mailman.17192.1420312341.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-01-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Whenever I try to reply to an email in gnus, I am unable to have any
of the original email in it, but something flashes across the screen
too fast to see. When I look in *Messages* I see this -

run-hooks: Symbol's function definition is void:bbdb-define-all-aliases

But I have commented out all instances of bbdb from my config. I
have totally deleted both instances of "bbdb-define-all-aliases". So
where is it coming from? Any ideas please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: bbdb-define-all-aliases
@ 2015-01-03 19:12 ` Sharon Kimble
       [not found] ` <mailman.17192.1420312341.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-01-03 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> Whenever I try to reply to an email in gnus, I am unable to have any
> of the original email in it, but something flashes across the screen
> too fast to see. When I look in *Messages* I see this -
>
> run-hooks: Symbol's function definition is void:bbdb-define-all-aliases
>
> But I have commented out all instances of bbdb from my config. I
> have totally deleted both instances of "bbdb-define-all-aliases". So
> where is it coming from? Any ideas please?

Sorted, I've totally removed all instances of "bbdb" from my
setup. This also included "org-bbdb" which was throwing out the
instances of "bbdb-define-all-aliases". So I'll now put the bbdb
code of mine back and see if it happens again. What fun!

@ 2015-01-05 21:05   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-01-05 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> So I'll now put the bbdb code of mine back and see
> if it happens again. What fun!

Absolutely positively: solve problems, get new ones...

BBDB [1] ("The Insidious Big Brother Database") seems
to be very ambitious to be an address book! (Probably
more than meets the eye, then.)

Anyone can get an address book for Gnus and the
message-mode like this - put entries in the .mailrc
file, i.e. the file specified in
`mail-personal-alias-file':

    alias john    "John DiFool <difool@incal.com>"
    alias kate    "Katherine Moss <mossy@km.com>"
    alias friends john kate

And then you can put the file into Conf mode to make
it look good (I'd give it to you if I could, but I
borrowed it):

    (let ((extras '(
            ("\\.\\(glsl\\|oil\\)"                         . c-mode)
            ("\\.lua"                                      . lua-mode)
            ("\\.\\(list\\|theme\\|mailrc\\|sed\\|inc\\)"  . conf-mode)
            ; ...
            )))
      (setq auto-mode-alist (append extras auto-mode-alist)) )

Bring the file up lightning-fast with a keystroke and
you are all set. To never have to fumble for email
addresses is a bliss!

I'm not saying BBDB is anything less (I never used it)
but .mailrc is very easy and quick to setup and use.

To answer a mail with the original yanked so you can
quote, which is a very good idea (both of them), use
`gnus-article-followup-with-original' from the article
mode.

[1] http://emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBbdb

--
underground experts united