Sebastian Urban writes: > According to help-gnu-emacs thread > (lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-03/msg00205.html) this > is normal behaviour, but from perspective of beginner it looks like > a bug. Therefore I suggest a sentence or two, perhaps in chapter > "11.12 Font lock mode", about how Font lock takes over control of > faces when user switches to mode with defined font-lock faces leaving > only those from this mode and turning off others (unless they have > also property font-lock-face). So I've been looking at this, and I think maybe the only manual change needed is in the Elisp manual to more strongly recommend using font-lock-face for this sort of thing: