Mike Kupfer writes: > To reproduce: > > 1. start emacs with -Q > 2. Visit (C-x C-f) the attached file (foo.html). > > When I do this with 26.2.90, the text starting with the apostrophe in > "doesn't", and ending at the end of file, is fontified as a string. > > When I do this with 26.2-rc1, the text is fontified as I would expect > (HTML tags are in blue, everything else is in the default black or dark > gray). The problem is the parens around the quote, sgml-mode uses the wrong syntax table during propertizing. The only reason it doesn't show up in 26.2 is because sgml-mode fails to fontify single quoted strings at all. The same problem exists in 26.2 and earlier with double quote, although it's less likely to have an unmatched double quote in text. (") (') So the question is what to do about this for the release branch. 1. Revert the fix which adds handling of single quotes. This means single quotes never cause highlighting, even when they should. This is a regression in nxml-mode relative to Emacs 25, but sgml-mode worked like that for a while already (in Emacs 26, nxml-mode was changed to rely on some of sgml-mode's code). 2. Fix this bug with the patch below, it's fairly small and straightforward. And also, can be disabled by setting syntax-ppss-table to nil in sgml-mode-hook. 3. Do nothing (for 26.3, that is).