all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-04 10:51 Dieter Faulbaum
From: Dieter Faulbaum @ 2020-09-04 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I use (at least) 3 versions of emacs on one computer, one from the
Debian-package, the newer one from here
https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-27.1.tar.xz and the snapshot
from
git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git/.
They tend to have different customizable variables (and others).

So I have these variables set in my (early-)init.el:

(setq emacs-name "emacs"
      emacs-major-minor-version (format "%d.%d"
      emacs-major-version
					emacs-minor-version)
      user-emacs-directory (concat "~/.etc/" emacs-name "/"
      emacs-major-minor-version))

Maybe not the most elegant way but this works for me to
distinguish
these versions.

Would it be good, if the user-emacs-directory not only becomes
"per-user Emacs-specific"
but also
"per-user per-emacs-version Emacs-specific"
in a similar way? (as an example: gimp does it likewise.-)

Thanks for thinking about this.

Dieter

* Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-04 13:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-09-04 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I use (at least) 3 versions of emacs on one computer, one from the
[...]
> Maybe not the most elegant way but this works for me to distinguish
> these versions.
[...]
> Would it be good, if the user-emacs-directory not only becomes
> "per-user Emacs-specific"

My 80KB .emacs doesn't rely on any kind of "version" info, yet I use it
unchanged with Emacs-24, Emacs-25, Emacs-26, Emacs-27, and Emacs-git
(and occasionally XEmacs).

I think it's easier to do that than to keep various configs synchronized
between the different versions they support.  But of course, nothing
prevents you from setting `user-emacs-directory` to a version-specific
directory.

* Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-05  5:58   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-09-05  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> My 80KB .emacs doesn't rely on any kind of "version" info, yet I use it
> unchanged with Emacs-24, Emacs-25, Emacs-26, Emacs-27, and Emacs-git
> (and occasionally XEmacs).
>
> I think it's easier to do that than to keep various configs synchronized
> between the different versions they support.  But of course, nothing
> prevents you from setting `user-emacs-directory` to a version-specific
> directory.

How do you deal with packages that don't exist in earlier Emacsen?

--
David Masterson

* Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-05 15:20     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-09-05 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> How do you deal with packages that don't exist in earlier Emacsen?

Usually with

    (if (fboundp '<something>)
      ...)

or

    (if (boundp '<something>)
      ...)

or even

    (ignore-errors ...)

-- Stefan

* Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-06 22:22       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-09-06 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> How do you deal with packages that don't exist in earlier Emacsen?
>
> Usually with
>
>     (if (fboundp '<something>)
>       ...)
>
> or
>
>     (if (boundp '<something>)
>       ...)
>
> or even
>
>     (ignore-errors ...)

Ah, thanks.

--
David Masterson

* Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
@ 2020-09-10  4:24   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2020-09-10  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> My 80KB .emacs doesn't rely on any kind of "version" info, yet I use it
> unchanged with Emacs-24, Emacs-25, Emacs-26, Emacs-27, and Emacs-git
> (and occasionally XEmacs).

Recently I've ended up with some Emacs-27 installations on my
Linux machines, but still on Emacs-26 on my Termux
installations.

I have almost no compatibility problems installations with my
init files or packages, with just a little bit of added code
to check a few things.

But I do have problems with .elc incompatibilities, and I've
had to resort to having separate 'elpa' directories based on
version number. It was okay to sync packages and custom code
across installations when they were all the same version, but
not with a mixed setup.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i