all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 12:27 pauline-galea
From: pauline-galea @ 2021-05-25 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Emacs 28.0.50 complains with

File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, popup

* Re: No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 12:33 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-25 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* pauline-galea@gmx.com <pauline-galea@gmx.com> [2021-05-25 15:28]:
> Emacs 28.0.50 complains with
>
> File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, popup

I cannot find any *popup* file in Emacs sources. Try to open with
emacs -Q

And if that works, then it is probably your settings that is asking
for some file.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 13:08   ` pauline-galea
From: pauline-galea @ 2021-05-25 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
It has to be related to some packages I am using, mainly auto-complete and
modus-themes.

@ 2021-05-25 14:45 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

pauline-galea@gmx.com writes:

> Emacs 28.0.50 complains with
>
> File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, popup

Popup is a third-party library[0], that other third-party packages use.

It would seem you (manually?) installed a package that requires a
dependency (popup) you do not provide. From your other message I guess
it is auto-complete. Have you considered using company? AFAIK it is
usually the preferred auto-completion framework nowadays.

[0]: https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/tree/866a091b83369873b4d1c5d62a590fbb0a150bd0

--
	Philip K.

* No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 14:54   ` pauline-galea
> > File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, popup
>
> Popup is a third-party library[0], that other third-party packages use.
>
> It would seem you (manually?) installed a package that requires a
> dependency (popup) you do not provide. From your other message I guess
> it is auto-complete. Have you considered using company? AFAIK it is
> usually the preferred auto-completion framework nowadays.

I would agree with your evaluation because it is first being called by auto-complete.
Was not aware of "company" as "auto-complete" was what I had been introduced to.

Have checked and found that "company" is part of GNU ELPA.  I am trying to understand
an important here.  I have installed "Emacs 25" from my package  manager.  Later I
installed Emacs 27.1 and am trying out the latest development version.

One thing that I am finding confusing is what happens when you install an emacs
package, because it does not look as though, the setup will apply to the latest
development verison, even if I use the same init files.

@ 2021-05-25 15:10     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

pauline-galea@gmx.com writes:

>> > Emacs 28.0.50 complains with
>> >
>> > File is missing: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, popup
>>
>> Popup is a third-party library[0], that other third-party packages use.
>>
>> It would seem you (manually?) installed a package that requires a
>> dependency (popup) you do not provide. From your other message I guess
>> it is auto-complete. Have you considered using company? AFAIK it is
>> usually the preferred auto-completion framework nowadays.
>
> I would agree with your evaluation because it is first being called by auto-complete.
> Was not aware of "company" as "auto-complete" was what I had been introduced to.
>
> Have checked and found that "company" is part of GNU ELPA.  I am trying to understand
> an important here.  I have installed "Emacs 25" from my package  manager.  Later I
> installed Emacs 27.1 and am trying out the latest development version.
>
> One thing that I am finding confusing is what happens when you install an emacs
> package, because it does not look as though, the setup will apply to the latest
> development verison, even if I use the same init files.

How did you install 25 and 27.1? It might be that they are using some
configuration specific to your system that adds additional directories
to load elisp from, that the development version is missing. Does
anything change if you run

         $ emacs --no-site-lisp

with an older version?

(Also, how did you install auto-complete? Via M-x package-install or
your system package manager?)

--
	Philip K.

* No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 15:50       ` pauline-galea

> >> Popup is a third-party library[0], that other third-party packages use.
> >>
> >> It would seem you (manually?) installed a package that requires a
> >> dependency (popup) you do not provide. From your other message I guess
> >> it is auto-complete. Have you considered using company? AFAIK it is
> >> usually the preferred auto-completion framework nowadays.
> >
> > I would agree with your evaluation because it is first being called by auto-complete.
> > Was not aware of "company" as "auto-complete" was what I had been introduced to.
> >
> > Have checked and found that "company" is part of GNU ELPA.  I am trying to understand
> > an important here.  I have installed "Emacs 25" from my package  manager.  Later I
> > installed Emacs 27.1 and am trying out the latest development version.
> >
> > One thing that I am finding confusing is what happens when you install an emacs
> > package, because it does not look as though, the setup will apply to the latest
> > development verison, even if I use the same init files.
>
> How did you install 25 and 27.1? It might be that they are using some
> configuration specific to your system that adds additional directories
> to load elisp from, that the development version is missing. Does
> anything change if you run

Emacs 25 was installed from my package manager (synaptic).  Installed Emacs
27.1 using "sudo add-apt-repository".  Emacs 28 from source.

>          $ emacs --no-site-lisp
>
> with an older version?
>
> (Also, how did you install auto-complete? Via M-x package-install or
> your system package manager?)

Am not so sure how I installed auto-complete at the time.

@ 2021-05-25 16:03       ` pauline-galea
From: pauline-galea @ 2021-05-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
Is it possible to get company-mode start completing after two characters, rather than
after three characters.

@ 2021-05-25 16:13         ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

>> (Also, how did you install auto-complete? Via M-x package-install or
>> your system package manager?)
>
> Am not so sure how I installed auto-complete at the time.

What does

     $ apt list --installed | grep elpa

say?

--
	Philip K.

* Re: No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 16:15         ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

pauline-galea@gmx.com writes:

> Is it possible to get company-mode start completing after two characters, rather than
> after three characters.

I don't use company, but I think company-minimum-prefix-length is what
you are looking for.

Generally, you can generate a listing of user options using

M-x apropos-user-option

or

M-x customize-group

--
	Philip K.

* No such file or directory, popup
@ 2021-05-25 16:17           ` pauline-galea
> >> (Also, how did you install auto-complete? Via M-x package-install or
> >> your system package manager?)
> >
> > Am not so sure how I installed auto-complete at the time.
>
> What does
>
>      $ apt list --installed | grep elpa
>
> say?

We are getting somewhere, it reports

elpa-auto-complete/etiona,etiona,now 1.5.1-0.1 all [installed]
elpa-popup/etiona,etiona,now 0.5.3-1 all [installed,automatic]

@ 2021-05-25 17:05             ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pauline-galea; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

pauline-galea@gmx.com writes:

>> What does
>>
>>      $ apt list --installed | grep elpa
>>
>> say?
>
> We are getting somewhere, it reports
>
> elpa-auto-complete/etiona,etiona,now 1.5.1-0.1 all [installed]
> elpa-popup/etiona,etiona,now 0.5.3-1 all [installed,automatic]

I tried looking into the packages (at least on Debian), and couldn't
find out what the reason it. auto-complete depends on popup-0.5.0, which
should be satisfied by popup-0.5.3.

My best guess is that there is some configuration issue with Debian's
packaging.

Either way, I try to stick to package.el, because it usually makes
maintaining a package list easier and portable, at the downside of
requiring extra maintenance.

--
	Philip K.

* Getting Emacs (was: No such file or directory, popup)
@ 2021-05-25 17:12         ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-25 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Emacs 25 was installed from my package manager (synaptic).  Installed Emacs
> 27.1 using "sudo add-apt-repository".  Emacs 28 from source.

Hmm... so based on this progression, I'd guess that for Emacs-29, you'll
hacking into Emacs maintainers's machines to get the code before it hits
the Git repository, and for Emacs-30 you'll be listening to their brain
waves to get the code before they type it into their computers?

* Getting Emacs (was: No such file or directory, popup)
@ 2021-05-25 18:08           ` pauline-galea
> > Emacs 25 was installed from my package manager (synaptic).  Installed Emacs
> > 27.1 using "sudo add-apt-repository".  Emacs 28 from source.
>
> Hmm... so based on this progression, I'd guess that for Emacs-29, you'll
> hacking into Emacs maintainers's machines to get the code before it hits
> the Git repository, and for Emacs-30 you'll be listening to their brain
> waves to get the code before they type it into their computers?
>
>         Stefan

Be very afraid ! :)