all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Confusing issue with redisplay
       [not found] <875yw1lwd9.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-08-19  7:36 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-08-19  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've run across an odd issue whilst bringing up a new window system: it
seems that each glyph overlaps its surroundings by exactly one pixel,
which leads to visible artifacting.  For instance, while I would have
expected the output from redisplay to be as follows:

["f" CHAR_GLYPH x=0 width=15 y=0 height=15] ["o" x=16 width=15 y=0
height = 15]

In this case "o" would actually start at 15 on the X axis, causing the
glyph "f" to be partially overdrawn.  What is even more confusing is
that the output of redisplay seems to exhibit the same overlap under
other window systems, whilst no artifacting is visible.

Am I missing something particularly obvious?  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

* Re: Confusing issue with redisplay
@ 2021-08-19 14:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-08-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:36:02 +0800
>

> I've run across an odd issue whilst bringing up a new window system: it
> seems that each glyph overlaps its surroundings by exactly one pixel,
> which leads to visible artifacting.  For instance, while I would have
> expected the output from redisplay to be as follows:
>
> ["f" CHAR_GLYPH x=0 width=15 y=0 height=15] ["o" x=16 width=15 y=0
> height = 15]
>
> In this case "o" would actually start at 15 on the X axis, causing the
> glyph "f" to be partially overdrawn.  What is even more confusing is
> that the output of redisplay seems to exhibit the same overlap under
> other window systems, whilst no artifacting is visible.

If "f" starts at 0 and its width is 15, then its last pixel is at
x=14, and the following glyph can start at x=15 without any overlap.

Or maybe you didn't tell enough details to understand what goes on
there.