all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Questions about proced
@ 2024-04-07 15:33 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-04-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

> I'm not sure I understand: you do have rss in the attributes, and I
> presume that the amount of physical RAM in the system is well known,
> so why is it a problem?

It is a minor problem but I actually don't understand how proced is
calculating the percentage. If I compare the percentage memory value
from proced with that of top I see that top show a value 4 times that of
proced. Before noticing this I though it was due to proced including
swap but the amount swap is half the amount of ram so I would have
expected the factor to be 1.5. Other programs also show values very
similar to top. The problem is that if I don't remember this fact, I
don't catch the high memory usage.

> > 2) The pcpu construct displays the percentage of cpu used by a process.
> > However it seems like it uses a very long interval to calculate this
> > percentage. So often processes which are basically idle now show up at
> > the top when sorting the processes by pcpu and I can see the cpu used by
> > them decaying slowly. Is it possible to use a shorter interval for pcpu?

> AFAIK, this is calculated by the OS, not by Emacs.

Comparing with top, I notice that value is top changes much more quickly
compared to proced and better reflects the current load. The amount of
total cpu time used by a process is identical between top and proced so
I had assumed that they differed by how the calculated the current load.

Thanks,
Rahguzar

* Re: Questions about proced
@ 2024-07-24 17:41 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-07-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

> If there are systems there with 16KB pages, and /proc reports RSS for
> them in 16KB pages units and not 4KB page units, then we'd need to
> modify sysdep.c to multiply by the system's page size instead.

> Suggest to report this with all the details as a bug, since here is
> not a good place to discuss this stuff.

I have filed bug#72278 for this.

Thanks,
Rahguzar

[parent not found: <87ed7joqvi.fsf@zohomail.eu>]
* Re: Questions about proced
@ 2024-07-23 19:26 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-07-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

[Sending this message again because I accidentally sent it just to Eli.
(Sorry about that)]

> > It is a minor problem but I actually don't understand how proced is
> > calculating the percentage. If I compare the percentage memory value
> > from proced with that of top I see that top show a value 4 times that of
> > proced. Before noticing this I though it was due to proced including
> > swap but the amount swap is half the amount of ram so I would have
> > expected the factor to be 1.5. Other programs also show values very
> > similar to top. The problem is that if I don't remember this fact, I
> > don't catch the high memory usage.

> You have the sources (in sysdep.c) of what Emacs does, so you can just
> look there, and then consult the various system documentation.  AFAIR,
> the %Mem column should show the percentage of the physical RAM that
> the process's RSS (resident set) takes.  That's what I see on 2
> different systems, one MS-Windows, the other GNU/Linux.  On the latter
> I compared with 'top', and it shows the same value.  So I don't think
> I understand why you see something different.

Sorry for coming back to this so late. I am using a GNU/Linux but with a
kernal that has a 16k page size. I think that might be the problem?

I don't understand C at all but I looked at the sysdep.c as weird math.
What stands out is line 3741:

	  pmem = 4.0 * 100 * rss / procfs_get_total_memory ();

The 4.0 is what makes me suspicious but it is just a hunch without any
understanding.

Thanks,
Rahguzar

* Questions about proced
@ 2024-04-06  9:57 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-04-06  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a question about proced:

1) The pmem construct in proced corresponds to the percentage of memory used
by a process. However the total memory used for this calculation
includes swap. Is it possible to limit this to just RAM?