all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Modeline face for inactive buffer
@ 2024-07-20 16:15 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-07-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am setting mode-line-format, but want that the face
for an inactive buffer affects both the buffer name
and the major-mode name.

Currently, for the inactive name the face for the
"%l:%c" part has some sort of blue hue.  What I
would like to have is a the face that shows up
for the buffer name (gray on gray).

(defun vodil-name-format ()
  (format " %s " (buffer-name)))

(defvar-local vodil-name
  '(:eval
      (let ( (vodil-face
               (if (mode-line-window-selected-p)
                     'vodil-active-face
                 'vodil-inactive-face)) )

        (propertize (vodil-name-format)
                      'face vodil-face))))

(put 'vodil-name 'risky-local-variable t)

(defun vodil-mode-name ()
  (capitalize (symbol-name major-mode)))

(defvar-local vodil-mode
  '(:eval
      (when (mode-line-window-selected-p)
        (list
          (propertize "λ" 'face 'bold)
          " "
          (propertize (vodil-mode-name) 'face 'bold)))))

(put 'vodil-mode 'risky-local-variable t)

(defun vodil-primitive ()

  (setq-default mode-line-format

    '("%e" vodil-name " " vodil-mode " " "%l:%c")))

* Re: Modeline face for inactive buffer
@ 2024-07-20 16:34 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-07-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime wrote:

> I am setting mode-line-format, but want that the face for an
> inactive buffer affects both the buffer name and the
> major-mode name.
>
> Currently, for the inactive name the face for the "%l:%c"
> part has some sort of blue hue. What I would like to have is
> a the face that shows up for the buffer name (gray on gray).

See faces:

  mode-line
  mode-line-active
  mode-line-buffer-id
  mode-line-emphasis
  mode-line-highlight
  mode-line-inactive

They have foreground, background, weight, and other attributes.

You can experiment by setting the attributes to 'unspecified
or 'default.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal