all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* yes I'm root but want 444 files found readonly
@ 2002-06-26 18:29 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <86bs9vq671.fsf@eden-hda7.my.local>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

$ su
# chmod 0 file
# chmod 444 otherfile
# emacs file otherfile
and the files are found without the "%%" readonly in the mode line.

OK, I'm root with the royal blood.  But that doesn't mean I don't want
to enjoy the same protection against altering my files all over the
place just like the other guy.  Sure wish there was an option in emacs
that would respect the hints from the file modes even if I'm root.  Or
what, do you expect me to do C-x C-q on each file?  Unfair.

Yes, for my mode 0 file the option could have a third etc. choice, not
only find-readonly, but also ask the user if he really wants to see it
etc.

Also there's the case of 444 but not owned by root.  Here also I would
find-readonly.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780