all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Meta-Backspace in AucTeX
@ 2002-10-11 18:44 Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2002-10-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have recently switched from XEmacs to FSF Emacs. Prior to this, in
all Emacs modes, indeed in all X-Term windows and other apps, I would
type Meta (or Alt) Backspace to kill the previous word. Since I
switched emacsen, M-BS is now mapped to undo. Placing commands such as
global-set-key or local-set-key in .emacs or .latex (called by the
former) gets overruled by something, but I'm not sure what.

Arrgh!

Any ideas?

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Meta-Backspace in AucTeX
@ 2002-10-12  7:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1034412433.27350.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-12  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Dan Griswold <dangriswold@earthlink.net>
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:44:11 GMT
>
> I have recently switched from XEmacs to FSF Emacs.

You mean, GNU Emacs, I'm sure.  FSF Emacs is something coined by
people who dislike GNU Emacs and its developers.  There's no such
thing as FSF Emacs.

> Prior to this, in
> all Emacs modes, indeed in all X-Term windows and other apps, I would
> type Meta (or Alt) Backspace to kill the previous word. Since I
> switched emacsen, M-BS is now mapped to undo.

I'm puzzled how could that happen.  Do you see this when you invoke
"emacs -q --no-site-file"?  You see, the default Emacs configuration
doesn't bind undo to M-BS at all, so some other factor must be at work
here.

* Re: Meta-Backspace in AucTeX
@ 2002-10-12 13:22   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2002-10-12 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

maggesi@math4.unice.fr (Marco.MAGGESI) writes:

> Dan Griswold <dangriswold@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > Since I switched emacsen, M-BS is now mapped to undo. Placing
> > commands such as global-set-key or local-set-key in .emacs or
> > .latex (called by the former) gets overruled by something, but I'm
> > not sure what.
>
> This may happen if you use pc-selection-mode.

That was it! Thank you, Marco!

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Meta-Backspace in AucTeX
       [not found] ` <mailman.1034412433.27350.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-12 13:25   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2002-10-12 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: Dan Griswold <dangriswold@earthlink.net>
> > Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:44:11 GMT
> >
> > I have recently switched from XEmacs to FSF Emacs.
>
> You mean, GNU Emacs, I'm sure.  FSF Emacs is something coined by
> people who dislike GNU Emacs and its developers.  There's no such
> thing as FSF Emacs.

Oops! Sorry about the unintentional insult, and thank you for the
correction. I guess it serves me right for hanging out on
comp.emacs.xemacs for awhile! :-) Believe me when I say no offense
intended.

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Meta-Backspace in AucTeX
       [not found] ` <mailman.1034412433.27350.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-12 14:22 ` Marco.MAGGESI
From: Marco.MAGGESI @ 2002-10-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Griswold <dangriswold@earthlink.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have recently switched from XEmacs to FSF Emacs. Prior to this, in
> all Emacs modes, indeed in all X-Term windows and other apps, I would
> type Meta (or Alt) Backspace to kill the previous word. Since I
> switched emacsen, M-BS is now mapped to undo. Placing commands such as
> global-set-key or local-set-key in .emacs or .latex (called by the
> former) gets overruled by something, but I'm not sure what.
>
> Arrgh!
>
> Any ideas?

This may happen if you use pc-selection-mode.

Solution 1: If you have

    (pc-selection-mode)

in your ~/.emacs, then replace it with

    (require 'pc-select)
    (setq pc-select-selection-keys-only t)
    (pc-selection-mode)

Solution 2: use

   M-x customize-variable RET pc-select-selection-keys-only

and set the variable "On".

Solution 3: add to the bottom of ~/.emacs

    (global-set-key "\M-\d" 'backward-kill-word)

--marco