all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-13  1:16 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-02-13  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I love Emacs & GDB and use CVS often.

How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
Emacs???

It is not that hard to open an xterm and run
GDB and CVS from command line.

I'm trying real hard to convince myself it will be a good
idea to run this from Emacs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-13  3:38 ` Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz @ 2003-02-13  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:
> How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
> Emacs???
Well, maybe integration is the word, some examples:

When you make a commit in cvs via console, you use: cvs ci
well, if you us pcl-cvs in emacs you use just: c now, with command
line de $EDITOR (or $VISUAL) will run and you will use it to make your
comment, with pcl-cvs, a buffer opens and you can edit there with
_all_ functionality of emacs (ie. key bindings), and then C-c C-c and
the commit is done, I have heard about integrate the ChangeLog file
with the cvs changelog, but never used it.

With GDB, maybe this screenshot would be usefull,
http://www.nick.uklinux.net/screenshot.png the package that make that
is gdbel (run on top of GUD AFAIK), and now is integrated in the cvs
of emacs, the more visible feature is that you could see the line in
that you are in step by that arrow in the source buffer.

> I'm trying real hard to convince myself it will be a good
> idea to run this from Emacs.
This of course are not arguments, are just examples, the arguments
come form emacs itself, you could do things too particular even weird,
but that could be useful for you, and never stop, maybe you think that
any key binding could be shorter, you could do it, maybe a repetitive
task that you want that execute 1000 times, you could do it, or maybe
the most strange string substitution but that you just want to do any
each summer, you could do it, maybe you like the Vi key bindings, take
Viper.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is my _little_. Hope that help

--
Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz
Key Fingerprint: C008 5EAC 5272 AC8C 7589  4821 8B34 6166 8733 8310

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-13  3:52 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2003-02-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:

> How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
> Emacs???

Um, lots?

> I'm trying real hard to convince myself it will be a good
> idea to run this from Emacs.

Then try it!  GDB is a no-brainer... it's why I originally started
using Emacs in 1994, since I was operating over a dialup and didn't
have xxgdb and wanted some way to see both source and debugger window
at the same time.  CVS also extremely useful.  M-x cvs-status in a
CVS working copy sometime and tell me you don't like it....

Experience is directly proportional to mistakes made

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-13 12:35 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2003-02-13 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

cs> How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
cs> Emacs???

Integration.  Running GDB from with in emacs does the following:

  - shows source files being debugged in emacs buffers
      this allows you to use all your favorite emacs commands
      to move around, search, etc

  - adds gbb specific commands buffers being debugged, such as
      set breakpoint at mark

  - cut/paste between buffers and the gdb command line, emacs-style
      command line edting in gdb, etc.

I don't see any reason *not* to run it in emacs.  You lose nothing.
Gain a few things...

...cj

--
------------------------
-- Christopher J. White

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-13 21:30 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-02-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some CVS things I like:

C-x v v can check out and in within emacs, using an emacs buffer to
edit the change log.

C-x v = diffs the current and checked in version.

C-x v g can look at the last checked in file and have the changes
highlighted in color with date, user, and version.

C-x v l gives me the change log.

C-x v ~ checks out old versions.

And all the buffers created by the above can be edited with the full
power of emacs.  Why bother going out to a command line?

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:
> How much benefit would there be to using GDB and CVS from within
> Emacs???

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-13 23:01   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-13 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold wrote:

> Some CVS things I like:
>
> C-x v v can check out and in within emacs, using an emacs buffer to
> edit the change log.
>
> C-x v = diffs the current and checked in version.
>
> C-x v g can look at the last checked in file and have the changes
> highlighted in color with date, user, and version.
>
> C-x v l gives me the change log.
>
> C-x v ~ checks out old versions.

Those all work for RCS as well.  Here's my favorite addition:

(global-set-key "\C-xv-" 'ediff-revision)

although I could never figure out why

(setq ediff-revision-key "-") doesn't have the same effect by itself.

> And all the buffers created by the above can be edited with the full
> power of emacs.  Why bother going out to a command line?

VC is so great I never even learned to use the RCS commands.  :-(

--

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-14  9:10   ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-02-14  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sounds extremely cool.  I should have learned this mode a long time ago,
but never had a real need for it... would like to give it a go now
though.

So how would I:

- Get from some cvs site the latest version of tramp...?  the full
package rather than just the diffs?

- Later on, get the diffs and merge them into the version I have?

I would imagine that ange-ftp would work (as the background "vehicle")
to retrieve the files, yes?  IOW, I wouldn't need tramp in order to
retrieve a later version of tramp... or?

tmia,
ken

kgold at 21:30 (UTC-0000) on 13 Feb 2003 said:

=
= Some CVS things I like:
=

@ 2003-02-14 12:47     ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1979.1045231509.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-14 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@ameritech.net writes:

> Sounds extremely cool.  I should have learned this mode a long time ago,
> but never had a real need for it... would like to give it a go now
> though.
>
> So how would I:
>
> - Get from some cvs site the latest version of tramp...?  the full
> package rather than just the diffs?
>
> - Later on, get the diffs and merge them into the version I have?
>
> I would imagine that ange-ftp would work (as the background "vehicle")
> to retrieve the files, yes?  IOW, I wouldn't need tramp in order to
> retrieve a later version of tramp... or?

What does Tramp have to do with PCL-CVS or GUD mode?

Tramp is available via FTP and CVS.  Instructions can be found at
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp/.  If you choose to use CVS,
then "cd" to your working directory and type "cvs update -dP".
That's enough to fetch the diffs to the most recent version and apply
them.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-14 14:03       ` gebser
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1979.1045231509.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gebser @ 2003-02-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kai Großjohann at 13:47 (UTC+0100) on Fri, 14 Feb 2003 said:

= gebser@ameritech.net writes:
=
= > Sounds extremely cool.  I should have learned this mode a long time ago,
= > but never had a real need for it... would like to give it a go now
= > though.
= >
= > So how would I:
= >
= > - Get from some cvs site the latest version of tramp...?  the full
= > package rather than just the diffs?
= >
= > - Later on, get the diffs and merge them into the version I have?
= >
= > I would imagine that ange-ftp would work (as the background "vehicle")
= > to retrieve the files, yes?  IOW, I wouldn't need tramp in order to
= > retrieve a later version of tramp... or?
=
= What does Tramp have to do with PCL-CVS or GUD mode?

As an example of using emacs' cvs functionality to get a fresh version
and then the diffs.  I thought that was apparent from the context of my
email.

=

@ 2003-02-14 17:05         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@ameritech.net writes:

> Kai Großjohann at 13:47 (UTC+0100) on Fri, 14 Feb 2003 said:
>
> = What does Tramp have to do with PCL-CVS or GUD mode?
>
> As an example of using emacs' cvs functionality to get a fresh version
> and then the diffs.  I thought that was apparent from the context of my
> email.

Ah, I see.  To use PCL-CVS successfully you first need to create a
working directory outside of Emacs (or from M-x shell RET or M-x
eshell RET if you like).  Just follow the instructions on the Tramp
website.

After this, M-x cvs-update RET will fetch diffs between what you have
on disk and what's on the server.  You can also do M-x cvs-status RET
instead of M-x cvs-update RET -- then you get a PCL-CVS buffer
showing the current state of affairs.

In any case, from the PCL-CVS buffer you can access all the nifty
functions such as getting diffs (to understand what changed between
version 1.42 and 2.3 of a certain file, say) or checking in changes.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-14 17:46           ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-14 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ah, I see.  To use PCL-CVS successfully you first need to create a
> working directory outside of Emacs (or from M-x shell RET or M-x
> eshell RET if you like).  Just follow the instructions on the Tramp
> website.

Actually, there is M-x cvs-checkout, but I've never even tried it,
so I can't guarantee it works.  Also it was written way back in the
days where CVS was mostly used locally, i.e. with a single repository, so
you might need to use cvs-change-cvsroot which is also basically untested
(and probably inconvenient).  Patches welcome.

        Stefan "PCL-CVS maintainer"

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-14 23:02           ` Ole Laursen
From: Ole Laursen @ 2003-02-14 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

[...]

> In any case, from the PCL-CVS buffer you can access all the nifty
> functions such as getting diffs (to understand what changed between
> version 1.42 and 2.3 of a certain file, say) or checking in changes.

How do you get a diff between specific versions? This is the one
feature I'm missing most.

One important thing to note about the CVS features in Emacs is that if
it ever tells you that conflicts have been detected and asks whether
you want to correct them, better answer no. Else you end up in a weird
Ediff mode with three windows and an extra frame, and no clue of how
to proceed. :-)

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-15  0:29             ` Dan Debertin
From: Dan Debertin @ 2003-02-15  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> One important thing to note about the CVS features in Emacs is that if
> it ever tells you that conflicts have been detected and asks whether
> you want to correct them, better answer no. Else you end up in a weird
> Ediff mode with three windows and an extra frame, and no clue of how
> to proceed. :-)

I don't use Emacs for CVS, but by your description I would say that's
an emerge session (C-h i m emacs RET m emerge RET). Emerge is IMO the
perfect tool for resolving conflicts between versions.

Try it; you might like it :).

Dan
--
/^Dan Debertin$/         |
airboss@nodewarrior.org  |

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-15 10:20             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-15 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> In any case, from the PCL-CVS buffer you can access all the nifty
>> functions such as getting diffs (to understand what changed between
>> version 1.42 and 2.3 of a certain file, say) or checking in changes.
>
> How do you get a diff between specific versions? This is the one
> feature I'm missing most.

Hm, yeah, it seems that feature isn't there.  Strange.  I found `d 2'
which apparently allows you to do a diff between the workfile and
another revision.

But you can still do f on the file, then C-u C-x v =.  That invokes
VC.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-16 22:33               ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-16 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> How do you get a diff between specific versions? This is the one
>> feature I'm missing most.

In VC: C-u C-x v =
In PCL-CVS: C-u =

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-18 19:28                 ` Ole Laursen
From: Ole Laursen @ 2003-02-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" writes:

> >> How do you get a diff between specific versions? This is the one
> >> feature I'm missing most.
>
> In VC: C-u C-x v =
> In PCL-CVS: C-u =

Ah, so it's just a documentation bug? 'C-h k =' in PCL-CVS (BTW, why
is it called PCL?) gives

  cvs-mode-diff is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `pcvs'.
  (cvs-mode-diff)

  Diff the selected files against the repository.
  Wrapper function that switches to a *cvs* buffer
  before calling the real function `cvs-mode-diff-1'.

It really did puzzle me that the functionality was missing. The VC
mode seems to be more user friendly though? But perhaps less flexible?

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/

* Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
@ 2003-02-18 19:35               ` Ole Laursen
From: Ole Laursen @ 2003-02-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Debertin <airboss@nodewarrior.org> writes:

> Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:
>

> > One important thing to note about the CVS features in Emacs is that if
> > it ever tells you that conflicts have been detected and asks whether
> > you want to correct them, better answer no. Else you end up in a weird
> > Ediff mode with three windows and an extra frame, and no clue of how
> > to proceed. :-)
>
> I don't use Emacs for CVS, but by your description I would say that's
> an emerge session (C-h i m emacs RET m emerge RET). Emerge is IMO the
> perfect tool for resolving conflicts between versions.
>
> Try it; you might like it :).

I think you're right. I've read the documentation know. I'll try being
more courageous next time I get a conflict, though I fear I will have
forgotten the commands at that time. :-)

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/