all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using mew in emacs21.3
@ 2003-12-19 12:13 xueruini
From: xueruini @ 2003-12-19 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all
 I am using mew with emacs21.3 on winxp. Mew can receive my
mails well, but when I want to send a mail, these errors occurs:

Connecting to the SMTP server...done
Sending in background...
1.wrk has been queued to +queue/1 (553 host denies relay (eyou mta)
)
(New file)
Wrote f:/EmacsConf/Mail/draft/1
Draft is prepared
Auto-saving...done
Really send this message? (y or n)
Wrote f:/EmacsConf/Mail/draft/1
Making a message...done
Connecting to the SMTP server...done
Sending in background...
2.wrk has been queued to +queue/2 (553 host denies relay (eyou mta)
)
Making completion list... [2 times]
(New file)
Wrote f:/EmacsConf/Mail/draft/1

This is a part of the error messages. I do not know what had happened,
may be the smtp authentication? how to set it?

* Re: using mew in emacs21.3
@ 2003-12-21  6:57 ` xueruini
From: xueruini @ 2003-12-21  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

it seems no one is familiar with this :(

@ 2003-12-21 11:09 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

xueruini@hotmail.com (xueruini) writes:

> 1.wrk has been queued to +queue/1 (553 host denies relay (eyou mta)
> )

"Host denies relay" means that the SMTP server thought that you were
trying to use it as a relay.  Many SMTP servers will accept mail sent
to foreign locations from a local user (outgoing mail), and also
accept mail coming from a foreign location sent to a local user
(incoming mail), but they will reflect mail sent from a foreign user
to another foreign user (relay).

Relays are often used by spammers.

I guess that you were a local user trying to send mail to foreign
locations.  The SMTP server looks at the "envelope from" address, see
the variable smtpmail-local-domain, to determine whether you are a
local user.

Some SMTP servers also use "SMTP AUTH" authentication where you have
to log in to the server with a user name and a password.  If you don't
have a username and password for SMTP, then that's probably not your
problem.

Does this help?

Kai