all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-16 20:11 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-02-16 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:

(how-many-params 'null)

and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with some
reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest arguments.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-16 20:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-16 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
> function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:
>
> (how-many-params 'null)
>
> and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with some
> reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest arguments.

I would start with eldoc-function-arglist.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-16 21:02   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
>> function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:
>> (how-many-params 'null)
>> and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with
>> some
>> reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest arguments.
>
> I would start with eldoc-function-arglist.

For built-in functions, subr-arity might help.

* Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-16 23:56     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-16 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>>>Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
>>>function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:
>>>(how-many-params 'null)
>>>and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with
>>>some
>>>reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest arguments.
>>
>>I would start with eldoc-function-arglist.
>
> For built-in functions, subr-arity might help.

And now for lisp functions, lambda-arity:

(require 'eldoc)

(defun lambda-arity (function)
   "Return minimum and maximum number of args allowed for FUNCTION.
FUNCTION must be a symbol whose function binding is a lambda expression
or a macro.
The returned value is a pair (MIN . MAX).  MIN is the minimum number
of args.  MAX is the maximum number or the symbol `many', for a lambda
or macro with `&rest' args."
   (let* ((arglist (eldoc-function-arglist function))
          (optional-arglist (memq '&optional arglist))
          (rest-arglist (memq '&rest arglist)))
     (cons (- (length arglist)
              (cond (optional-arglist (length optional-arglist))
                    (rest-arglist (length rest-arglist))
                    (t 0)))
           (cond (rest-arglist 'many)
                 (optional-arglist (+ (length arglist)
                                      (length optional-arglist)
                                      -1))
                 (t (length arglist))))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-18 13:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-02-18 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
> function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:

> (how-many-params 'null)

> and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with some
> reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest arguments.

Why do you want to know?

Every time this has shown up for me, what I truly wanted to know was more
like "can I call this with 4 args?", and the reason why I wanted to know was
to know whether to call it with 4 args or otherwise do something else
(e.g. call it with fewer args).

In practice, it's simpler to just do

    (condition-case nil
        (fooo)
      (wrong-number-of-arguments
        (bar)))

It's not perfect, but I've found it to suffer from fewer problems than
other solutions.  It's also faster.

* Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
@ 2005-02-18 17:43   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-02-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote on Fri, 18 Feb 2005
08:59:24 -0500:
>> Is it possible to determine at run time how many parameters an elisp
>> function takes?  For example, I'd like to write something like:

>> (how-many-params 'null)

>> and have it evaluate to 1.  Or something like that.  Together with
>> some reasonable convention for indicating &optional and &rest
>> arguments.

> Why do you want to know?

I'd like to fix `beginning-of-defun-raw', where it does (funcall
beginning-of-defun-function).  The parameter `arg' from
beginning-of-defun should be passed through to b-o-d-f.  We've talked
about this before.  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that existing
user supplied functions can accept an `arg'.  I would thus replace the
call with

(if (>= (how-many-params beginnin-of-defun-function) 1)
    (funcall beginning-of-defun-function arg)
  (funcall beginning-of-defun-function))

> Every time this has shown up for me, what I truly wanted to know was
> more like "can I call this with 4 args?", and the reason why I wanted
> to know was to know whether to call it with 4 args or otherwise do
> something else (e.g. call it with fewer args).

Exactly.

> In practice, it's simpler to just do

>     (condition-case nil
>         (fooo)
>       (wrong-number-of-arguments
>         (bar)))

> It's not perfect, but I've found it to suffer from fewer problems than
> other solutions.  It's also faster.

Good idea!

Why is there not such a function in the Emacs core?  It seems such an
incredibly useful function, say for debuggers or code-analysers, or for
the uses mentioned above.  Did somebody just overlook it in the early
days, perhaps?

--

@ 2005-02-22 14:41     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-02-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> In practice, it's simpler to just do

>> (condition-case nil
>> (fooo)
>> (wrong-number-of-arguments
>> (bar)))

>> It's not perfect, but I've found it to suffer from fewer problems than
>> other solutions.  It's also faster.

> Good idea!

> Why is there not such a function in the Emacs core?

The example code above shows there *is* such a functionality.  If you mean
"why is there no `function-can-accept-N-args' function", then the answer is
probably that most people ask for the inconvenient "function-arity" instead
and get turned down.

> It seems such an incredibly useful function, say for debuggers or
> code-analysers, or for the uses mentioned above.  Did somebody just
> overlook it in the early days, perhaps?

Seeing how this kind of thing is basically never used, and how the specific
info needed tends to be subtly different each time, I guess it's not just
an overlook, but a lack of clear evidence of a need.