On 5 Aug 2005, joelvsmith@earthlink.net wrote: > i read somewhere that in the NEWS (C-h n) defvaralias has an entry... > C-h f defvaralias --> no entry I see what you mean now. > GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) > of 2005-05-18 on decompose.build.redhat.com This is really strange because according to my research defvaralias was introduced in Emacs 21.4 (there must be something screwy with the Redhat's build). You have 2 choices: (1) Upgrade your Emacs. (2) Ask your question on the emacs-wiki list: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsWikiMailingList I am sure someone can help you there. Charles -- We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. (Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)