all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "maximum buffer size exceeded" error
@ 2005-09-27 21:58 Dan Simon
From: Dan Simon @ 2005-09-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
I am trying to work on text files in excess of 180 Mb.  When I try to open
the file I get the above response (in quotes).

Is there a way to set the maximum buffer size so that I can open these
bigger files?

Thanks,
Dan Simon,

* Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" error
@ 2005-09-27 22:50 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-27 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.09.2005 um 23:58 schrieb Dan Simon:

> Hi All,
> I am trying to work on text files in excess of 180 Mb.  When I try to
> open the file I get the above response (in quotes).
>
> Is there a way to set the maximum buffer size so that I can open these
> bigger files?

I think not yet. The problem is that the file is accessed in Lisp. The
Lisp pointers are too short, less than 32 bits, 28 bits, which
corresponds to 256 MB. Could be it's better in GNU Emacs 22 (from CVS)
or in Unicode Emacs 23.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

* Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" error
@ 2005-09-28 16:25 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsFileSizeLimit

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" error
       [not found] <mailman.8889.1127859685.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-04  3:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-04  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to work on text files in excess of 180 Mb.  When I try to open
> the file I get the above response (in quotes).

> Is there a way to set the maximum buffer size so that I can open these
> bigger files?

In 32bit systems, It's 128MB on Emacs-21.  It'll be 256MB on Emacs-22.
It can be made 512MB fairly easily (patch not provided, tho).

But it can also be made insanely large by recompiling on a 64bit system.
This "insanely large" is the theory.  Practice will probably bump into bugs
when crossing the 2GB limit.