all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TRAMP doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-05-08 15:46 Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.1590.1147117940.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

since a CVS update about one week ago TRAMP mode doesn't work
anymore. If I try `C-x C-f /su:' I get this new buffer:

,----[ *tramp/ssh su* ]
| ssh: su: Name or service not known
|
| Process *tramp/ssh su* exited abnormally with code 255
`----

If I try opening a remote file with `C-x C-f /user@' it echoes "Open
Directory: file or directory user@ not found." and I get this new
buffer:

,----[ *tramp/ssh ssh* ]
| ssh: ssh: Name or service not known
|
| Process *tramp/ssh ssh* getötet
`----

I didn't change any TRAMP configs and a week ago it all worked fine,
both local files with su-method as well as remote files via ssh.

I assume this could be caused by the discussion starting with
<87r73n5o5x.fsf@pacem.orebokech.com> on gmane.emacs.devel. I tried
putting an (require 'tramp) into my ~/.emacs, but that didn't help.

Any ideas what could cause the troubles?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: TRAMP doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-05-08 19:52 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.1590.1147117940.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2006-05-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> since a CVS update about one week ago TRAMP mode doesn't work
> anymore.

Unfortunately, you don't mention Tramp's and Emacs' version. Let's
assume you're using Tramp 2.1.6-pre and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 (the latter
one is obvious from your User-Agent header line).

> I assume this could be caused by the discussion starting with
> <87r73n5o5x.fsf@pacem.orebokech.com> on gmane.emacs.devel.

Yes. The result of this discussion is a changed autoload behaviour for
Tramp. It was committed to Emacs CVS a week ago. I did wait for a week
in order to see whether there are unexpected side effects. Since
nobody did object, I've applied the changes into Tramp CVS yesterday.

In other words: it should work now ...

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Sorry for the inconvenience. Best regards, Michael.

* TRAMP doesn't work with ido-mode WAS: TRAMP doesn't work anymore
       [not found] ` <mailman.1590.1147117940.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-08 20:48   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michael,

> Unfortunately, you don't mention Tramp's and Emacs' version. Let's
> assume you're using Tramp 2.1.6-pre and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 (the latter
> one is obvious from your User-Agent header line).

Ah, sorry. I use the TRAMP version bundled with GNU Emacs 22.0.50, last
CVS update 20 minutes ago.

,----[ C-h v tramp-version RET ]

`----

> In other words: it should work now ...

Not for me, so I fiddled a bit arround in my ~/.emacs and found the
problem. I use `ido-mode' for both file and buffer behavior, and it
seems it doesn't work well with the new TRAMP behavior.

,----[ ~/.emacs ]
| (require 'ido)
| (ido-mode 'both)
`----

If I uncomment the ido-stuff I still get this buffer...

,----[ *tramp/ssh su* ]
| ssh: su: Name or service not known
|
| Process *tramp/ssh su* exited abnormally with code 255
`----

...but I can continue to complete the path, and at some point TRAMP
starts loading. With ido enabled emacs doesn't accept new input after
the *tramp/ssh su* buffer appears, or better, the new input is directed
to this buffer.

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: TRAMP doesn't work with ido-mode
@ 2006-05-09  4:39     ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1600.1147149570.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Albinus @ 2006-05-09  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi,

> Not for me, so I fiddled a bit arround in my ~/.emacs and found the
> problem. I use `ido-mode' for both file and buffer behavior, and it
> seems it doesn't work well with the new TRAMP behavior.
>
> ,----[ ~/.emacs ]
> | (require 'ido)
> | (ido-mode 'both)
> `----
>
> If I uncomment the ido-stuff I still get this buffer...
>
> ,----[ *tramp/ssh su* ]
> | ssh: su: Name or service not known
> |
> | Process *tramp/ssh su* exited abnormally with code 255
> `----
>
> ...but I can continue to complete the path, and at some point TRAMP
> starts loading. With ido enabled emacs doesn't accept new input after
> the *tramp/ssh su* buffer appears, or better, the new input is directed
> to this buffer.

One of the changes a week ago was that Tramp completion is enabled only
when you are in partial-completion-mode. I've extended it now for
ido-mode, too.

You need to perform at least "make bootfast" with CVS sources, because
autoload behaviour is affected.

> Regards,
> Tassilo

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2006-05-09  7:51       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-09  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michael,

> One of the changes a week ago was that Tramp completion is enabled
> only when you are in partial-completion-mode. I've extended it now for
> ido-mode, too.

Thanks, now it works again.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: TRAMP doesn't work with ido-mode WAS: TRAMP doesn't work anymore
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1600.1147149570.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-10  9:26     ` Leon
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1629.1147253225.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leon @ 2006-05-10  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
>> Unfortunately, you don't mention Tramp's and Emacs' version. Let's
>> assume you're using Tramp 2.1.6-pre and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 (the latter
>> one is obvious from your User-Agent header line).
>
> Ah, sorry. I use the TRAMP version bundled with GNU Emacs 22.0.50, last
> CVS update 20 minutes ago.
>
> ,----[ C-h v tramp-version RET ]
> | tramp-version is a variable defined in `trampver.el'.
> | Its value is "2.0.53"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | This version of Tramp.
> `----
>
>> In other words: it should work now ...
>
> Not for me, so I fiddled a bit arround in my ~/.emacs and found the
> problem. I use `ido-mode' for both file and buffer behavior, and it
> seems it doesn't work well with the new TRAMP behavior.
>
> ,----[ ~/.emacs ]
> | (require 'ido)
> | (ido-mode 'both)
> `----
>
> If I uncomment the ido-stuff I still get this buffer...
>
> ,----[ *tramp/ssh su* ]
> | ssh: su: Name or service not known
> |
> | Process *tramp/ssh su* exited abnormally with code 255
> `----
>
> ...but I can continue to complete the path, and at some point TRAMP
> starts loading. With ido enabled emacs doesn't accept new input after
> the *tramp/ssh su* buffer appears, or better, the new input is directed
> to this buffer.

I think I have the same problem. Any fix?

--
Leon

@ 2006-05-10  9:59       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Leon,

> I think I have the same problem. Any fix?

It's fixed in CVS, but I don't know if the patch is applied to the
unicode2-branch you use as well.

Try to update and see if it works then.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The problem with the French is that they dont have a word for
"entrepreneur".                              - George W. Bush